Help, please: Scroll design without leaves

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
Van, thanks for your comments. I can't use leaves in this scene due to the theme.
You can read about that in the beginning of this thread.
The best

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The design has progressed well, and I agree with mvangle that the crossover detracts. It just YANKS my eye to itself, and doesn't help the flow.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
This is really looking good! I'm in agreement with the others about the crossover.

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
I'm no expert but I know what I like and I like it apart from the already mentioned "cross over". FWIW I particularly like the leafless aspect; it looks like something half way between Celtic tendril and large English scroll. Space in Celtic tendril was filled with small tendrils, as opposed to miniature scrolls. Maybe something to experiment with if needed, but as I said I'm no expert.
Jeremy

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
Wow thanks for all your comments!
I don't know how to represent "tendrils"
All I can come up with is tiny scrolls.
There is still some white areas to deal but I am stuck.
I have got rid of the crossover.
I have another issue, should I go with gold scrolls or just the borders?
IMG_5578.jpg
The best

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Tiny scrolls equal tendrils in my vocabulary. Not sure what you mean precisely by "gold scrolls" versus "borders". If it were my project, just looking at it would make me believe that I had my hands full getting the design properly cut. To fully inlay the pattern will be a difficult project and even more so when you try to put defining lines along the edge of the gold, especially where elements touch each other.

By "borders" do you mean a line border around the two pattern sections?

It is looking quite nice!!

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
Tiny scrolls equal tendrils in my vocabulary. Not sure what you mean precisely by "gold scrolls" versus "borders". If it were my project, just looking at it would make me believe that I had my hands full getting the design properly cut. To fully inlay the pattern will be a difficult project and even more so when you try to put defining lines along the edge of the gold, especially where elements touch each other.

By "borders" do you mean a line border around the two pattern sections?

It is looking quite nice!!

Sam,
Yes I meant to inlay the whole scene with gold scrolls but as you are saying, I do have my hand full with cutting the pattern as it is. I do not have that control yet to shade gold. Well I could do Bulino dots but that would just not be the same. The borders is the thinn line around and in the middle dividing the scene.
Thanks!

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
That works for me...especially in keeping with your theme.

I am not trying to discourage you about the gold inlaying of the scroll, just pointing out the large amount of work involved. Either way would look great, just depends on what you want.

I have used bulino/stipple shading on gold a lot and it works well as far as I am concerned.

mvangle

Elite Cafe Member
You design is very interesting. I saved it and looked at it point up, point down, point left and right.
With the point up the design starts off very elegantly and somewhat simetrical down to the first third. From there down it becomes very busy. I have seen many engravers work that is intricate yet there is organization to the overall design. Lee Griffiths is a master of the technic. Complicated designs including natural subjects such as birds and bees. His designs are complicated yet pleasing to look at and lack confusion. I suggest you search for his posts and study how he makes it work.

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
That works for me...especially in keeping with your theme.

I am not trying to discourage you about the gold inlaying of the scroll, just pointing out the large amount of work involved. Either way would look great, just depends on what you want.

I have used bulino/stipple shading on gold a lot and it works well as far as I am concerned.

Well actually I like the scrolls plain with no gold. However the US knife customers loves gold and plenty of it.
Thanks for taking the time helping me out.

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
You design is very interesting. I saved it and looked at it point up, point down, point left and right.
With the point up the design starts off very elegantly and somewhat simetrical down to the first third. From there down it becomes very busy. I have seen many engravers work that is intricate yet there is organization to the overall design. Lee Griffiths is a master of the technic. Complicated designs including natural subjects such as birds and bees. His designs are complicated yet pleasing to look at and lack confusion. I suggest you search for his posts and study how he makes it work.

Hmm, okay I'm not sure what you mean by busy. I thought it panned out to a simpler design as it moves to the left. This has to do with my knowledge. I am still in my learning curve and simply don't have the eye yet. Perhaps I snowed in on how I want the scrolls to meet at the center border. You know, one scroll turning up while the scroll in the lower section is turning down. Hmm I'm not sure what to go from here. I don't want the scrolls to be a copy paste kind of thing if you know what I mean. I will look this Lee up though. Thanks for your help.

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
Wow!! Lee Griffiths!
IMG_5581.JPG

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
Mike
Regarding tendrils, I'm used to them as the small comma shaped "scrolls " that look like a small fern that hasn't uncoiled yet. You have them in your design. Nice.
Jeremy

Okay now I understand, from Sweden you know.
Thanks
Mike

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
Van, I did a new try this morning. (Nr2)
Is this one less messy?
Looking at the picture now I guess there ar a couple of scrolls that are off but that's a quick fix. How about the flow? I managed to fill in the gaps more with this scrolls.
IMG_5589.jpg

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Mike, I like #2 better, I see #1 as the two pieces in competition with each other, to my eye the two pieces in #2 compliment each other.

Latest posts

Sponsors