workholding advice for round or oval objects

Nemofloat56

Hello, I am looking for a workholding block or something similar for engraving on round objects like balls or cylinder. Which one would you recommend me. I would really appreciate your advice. :)

greets

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Size of the vise "base" will vary depending on the size of the spheres or cylinders.

Odds are, you will have to make up your own holding fixtures - there are very few "ready-mades" you can just go buy, simply because there are too many variables to make it profitable.

Those that are commercially available are pretty much restricted to jewelry ring holding fixtures.

Fixtures made of wood, Delrin, rubber, leather, felt, foam, metals (mostly aluminum), thermal plastics, pitch, shellac, Bondo, fiberglass and other casting resins have all been used in the past...

Bases have included engravers vises, turntables, machinists vises, stand up and walk around vises and even motorized turntables.

Brian

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
As Brian said you can make them. Pieces of wood with drilled holes in different sizes work well, or cover the hole with leather or thin rubber. Placed between the vice jaws. This works similar to V blocks for drilling round shapes. Hard wood is good nylon works well but can be slippery. Thermoloc or Hot glue in the middle and outer ridge helps with slippery things, could try double sided tape (carpet tape) The round hole provides a good amount of surface grip and tension and hardwood is real cheap.

Eric

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
thank you all for such fast reply i will try it out

greets

take a stroll thru the tip section. take a look at sams' thread on workbenches. there's tons of tricks one can see. try the search feature-- type in "workholding". you may be surprized with what you find here. i have gone so far as to hold odd shapes in wads of crumpled aluminum foil- held securely in a magna block. sounds crazy, but it worked for me.

Latest posts

Sponsors