+ Reply to Thread
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Are you using a standard jeweler's bench for engraving?

I got a second bench for engraving about a year ago, and just have my engraving block and turntable in the "sweeps" drawer. Yesterday, CRASH! - the board supporting the drawer completely pulled away from the rest of the bench and left everything on the floor. So if you're using a bench this way, get under there and drive some screws to hold the drawer up.

Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

That would be why they call them "jewelers benches" - that is what they were designed for.

One of the stonesetters benches is a better choice than a jewelers bench. Most professionals have built their own benches up to now.

There are finally 4 or 5 commercially available benches designed with engravers in mind, as well as the fairly new freestanding supports.

Ray Cover used to offer a lightweight portable folding bench specifically for engraving at shows... someone ought to take that up again or put up a list of dimensions and materials?

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

I planing to get wood Secretary table from ikea its well made and not expensive so I wont have any worries of scratching it or drilling holes for microscope in it . Im looking forward to get grs turntable so it will work for me and it will look nice in flat. If I would have a workshop then I would choose something bigger .

Post Thanks / Like

I use a jewellers bench I'm the same way as you, but I have screwed the drawer in place as well as supporting from. Below

Post Thanks / Like

I have five nice wood bench's from Harbor Freight and like them. J.J.
    JJ Roberts
    School of Artistic Engraving
    Manassas, VA

www.angelfire.com/va2/engraver

jjrengraver@aol.com

Post Thanks / Like

My main bench is a 3 1/2 inch thick gluelam, the vise sets on a modified drill press stand

7. Likes Brian Marshall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't use a bench, I use a drill press base and table!

Richard Kramer
    Where there's a will there's a way!

Post Thanks / Like

ive bolted a couple 2x6s under a jewelers bench before to use as a shelf for the vise. the sweeps drawers just are not stout enough to hold 20lbs of vise. I could still put the sweeps tray back in if needed, but usually used that space for tool storage. id also installed an apron sort of thing with Velcro under the bench to catch all the chips/dust/whatever tried to escape. it was attached to the bench, and draped across my lap. that little scrap of leather saved me a lot of time doing the jewelers prayer.

10. Likes Dave London liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Years ago one of the local universities remodeled some classrooms one summer. They also bought new desks for the professors, I scored 3 of the old desks. Sold oak, heavy and big, it took 4 of us to and unload them. I have 2 in my woodshop as workbenches and one in the spare bedroom where I play with the engraving and my woodcarving.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I use a steel-case desk. They are heavy duty and cheap. They are sold as surplus at Arizona State University for $30.00 with steel draws on the side, and a pencil draw for a catch. The are $50-75 if they have the back 2 shelf bookcase attachment with back and lights..
    If they are too low just screw in a 4X4 or 4x6 into the leveling adjustment screws .
    You can also buy a side desk that attatches to the main desk and enlarge your working surface (all steel).
    Just cannot do better than that.

airamp
    Last edited by airamp; 02-18-2017 at 04:57 AM.

13. Likes allan621 liked this post
+ Reply to Thread