+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dave gibson View Post
    Monk, yes please, I'd appreciate that very much, abcdavegibson@hotmail.com, thank you so much.
    will send your way in an hour or two.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a leather sandbag and a bowling ball to dome buckles. It works like a charm.

3. Likes dave gibson, John B. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For pressing jewelry it has been said time after time to not try anything less then s 20 Ton. But sounds like you just want to put a slight curve on the buckle. I usually use 18 or 16 GA. Unless you are ew anting to press designs into buckle you could prob get by with less. I don't use a press for buckles, I use doming block and mallet.

Post Thanks / Like

Since I first posted this I've bought some real nice doming plates from Lindsay and a 5 ton press, works great for 16 ga nickel, 16 is as thick as I can find. I'm still needing proper dapping tools to make the backing plates fit the domed front but I'm able to fake it. The project is working slowly but crawling along, I'm now able to make a belt buckle from scratch, and I do mean scratch. I've actually sold some, so now I'm just looking for ways to make them better. Thanks for all the helpful info everyone and if you have anymore suggestions please keep them coming.

Post Thanks / Like

My first buckle was shaped by hollowing out a piece of white oak and using a soft hammer to shape it in the hollow. Worked well. I just made my first ranges set and also made a domed white oak form to shape it over. I did three tries in copper before I was satisfied with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Marshall View Post
    Yep, the polishing lathe is the most dangerous machine in the shop. Unless you are spitting parts out of your engine lathe or milling machine vise...

Brian
    KAAA-TING! (That ominous sound of buffer wheel grab)
    "Doc" - Neal L. Martin

NRA Patron Life Member
    "Never start vast projects with half-vast ideas." - - "Itís Never Too Late To Be What You Might Have Been"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kvanpelt View Post
    For pressing jewelry it has been said time after time to not try anything less then s 20 Ton. But sounds like you just want to put a slight curve on the buckle. I usually use 18 or 16 GA. Unless you are ew anting to press designs into buckle you could prob get by with less. I don't use a press for buckles, I use doming block and mallet.
    What kind of doming block do you use? I want one to dome the backing hardware for my buckles, do you have a picture and dimensions? thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3