Interlocked monogram

Wew0001

Interlocking monogram???

I know this has probably been covered but I'm a little confused as to what constitutes as an interlocking monogram..... I was hoping someone had some basic examples in script or anything for that matter. I have seen a examples online but some just look like letters that have been placed directly over each other. Again please excuse my ignorance.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you may find a quicker result by googling interlocking monograms in the images tab. probably many examples there.

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
There's a great little book called "Crockers Novelty Monogram System" available through NgraveR Co. cheap, great.

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
The monograms you see were probably done by machine or computer engraving. Those are like you describe as the letters are cut over top of each other. They simulate hand interlocking monograms.

I don't keep photos of work I have done. And a lot of the ones on the net are frankly pretty bad. But here is a good one from GM Bentley designs. Its has a lot of balance, the letters are well spaced and the cut.

Hope this helps.

The interlocking part is how the letters are folded over each other. A better term might be interwoven. Interlocking monograms are also called entwined monograms.

whiteley-ring-cuba-pin-kirk-flatware-finished.jpg

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There are some great tutorials here in the forum, on how to design them, use the your friend the search button.

what a simple search of monogram came up.....guys use it please, the masters have already answered these questions, thats why you dont see them really reply to these repetitive questions, use the search.

GunEngraver.com Custom Guns Knives and More PAYMENT PLANS Available

Last edited:

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
When I was writing about the bad monograms I wasn't referring to the style, I was thinking more of the quality of the layout and cutting. Monograms are constantly evolving. In just the last 40 years we've gone from beautifully complicated to more readable letters. I guess its because most letters these days are computer generated and easier to read. The big difference coming in monograms will be better computer generated letters that are transferred to jewelry, instead of hand drawing them, which is what I do. I hand draw everything at the present and use Sam Alfano's ( amazingly great stuff ) to make transfers if I'm doing cufflinks or pieces like that.

But even I'm moving on. I'm using White's transfer magic on a special project I'll be working on after I retire. It's a slightly different situation.

BTW... I looked at the Bonislawsky monograms and they're okay, but remind me of either work from the JM Bergling archives or the speedball ink calligraphy guides.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You can find some great examples in J.M. Bergling's book, Art Monograms and Lettering. The first editions are quite pricey at over $200 or more but there was a reprint done in 2014 in paperback that sometimes comes up. Also, if I recall correctly, forum member J.J. posted a link to downloading the images from the book here some time ago.
Bergling's work is my go to source for lettering inspiration.
Also a quick tip, the intertwining looks best to my eye when properly shaded to bring the letters fore and aft.
Layne

Latest posts

Sponsors