+ Reply to Thread
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Diane Scalese... does she use a microscope?

or just a visor? I ask as I've set up my new Meiji and GRS stand.... and hate it. I don't think I'm going to keep it as mostly what interests me is western brightcut. Which, especially the wriggle cuts, seem to need constant adjustment of the microscope or repositioning of the work in the ball to make it useful. I plan on buying Diane's cd from grs and was just wondering how/what she uses for magnification when doing this large sort of work.

Post Thanks / Like

She does. The following are photos from when my wife did an article about Diane for our local paper.

http://www.engraverscafe.com/album.php?albumid=383

3. Likes bronc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Only her hairdresser knows for sure...
    Mitch Moschetti

MRM ENGRAVING
    www.mrmengraving.com

5. Likes Donny, metalchipper, bronc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anvilring, in case you live anywhere near TX, Diane will be doing demos at the Western Heritage in Abilene in May and at the WRCA World Championships in Amarillo in November.

Stewart

Post Thanks / Like

I do mostly western bright cut and I use a 2.5 power optivisor. I have a scope but do not use it for that type of work.
    Ken

8. Likes bronc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

She used the scope at GRS when I took her course 10 years ago. I use a scope for all my engraving, single point, western bright cut etc. Well almost all. Some pieces don't fit under my set-up so I use my visor for them.

If you get the barlow .5X lens, it should increase your working length. If you stick with it, the scope will grow on you. If yours eyes don't need it OK, mine do and I love having one!

Post Thanks / Like

The day Pam and I were there she was doing lettering on a gold bracelet and she was using the scope. A nice lady in a town of nice people.

11. Likes bronc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

She might use a .3 objective lens. You could call and ask her. The fega site has her contact info. Or Email her. On rare occasions I use a .3 objective.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are repositioning the ball vise under the scope constantly, I have to ask, are you using a turntable under the vice? It is essential that you have a turntable and make sure that you CENTER the scope directly over the center of the TURNTABLE FIRST, NOT over the center of the vice. Then when you center the object you are engraving, it will spin within the view of the scope. Having said all this, yes, you can use a visor to do brightcut if that is your preference. But, I would caution you to keep the scope and experiment with it for a while longer. It is invaluable for so much of our engraving chores.
    Mark Sedlak

"It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right." Moliere

14. Likes John B., bronc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At least part of the time --745877_11469d9d20b64d96a58a160d42456d33.jpg

16. Likes metalchipper, bronc, John B. liked this post
+ Reply to Thread