Colt single action Question

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
I have a SAA Colt in my shop that needs polished and engraved. The pitting on the cylinder is pretty severe I think 20 to 25 thousands of metal removal will clean it up. Is that going to be a problem?
Thanks, Leland

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
If your estimate of .020-.025 is correct it is a real problem. The pits will have to be filled in some manner. Removing this much metal and keeping near original contours will not be possible. It might be cheaper to buy a new cylinder and have it fitted as another option.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Laser welding the pits with the wire from a bread tie or store bought soft iron wire is the way to go if you can find someone to do it. .020" is way too much meat to remove and have any hopes to keep the lines and contours right.

I had a first gen and the cylinder was too pitted to hide with engraving so I turned them out on a lathe a few thousands and decided that they were still too deep to remove. That cylinder won't lock up if it's had too much metal removed. That's when I found the laser welder. Problem solved.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks all for the responses the lockup is what worried me. JJ I will try to get a photo. I remove that much metal on Winchesters on a regular basis but I don't have lock anything up on those.
Looks like a new cylinder may be the way to go I don't anyone with a laser welder.
Thanks again,Leland

Brant

Elite Cafe Member
Leland,
Call some local jewellers that do repair work, they are very commonly used by them.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Contact John Powers at Powers Metalworks. www.powersmetalworks.com

Dropping a new cylinder in isn't a drop in procedure. Most times the action needs work to make the timing correct. Incorrectly timed action/cylinder can become a major problem

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Bert, I have changed cylinders before that is why I wanted to save this one. I will contact Powers. I take it you have used them?
Thanks, Leland

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
I made a mistake at the beginning of this post did not make myself clear the 20 to 25 thousands is total off the diameter not the radius. that may still be a problem but I won't be removing the lock up notches like 25 thousands off the radius would.
Thanks,Leland

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for all the advice and concerns the cylinder cleaned up nicely locks up and all is well. The problem was me not being clear about what I meant by 20-25 thousands comment I meant off the total diameter of the cylinder not the radius. I received a call from Sandy about Mr. Powers he told me he is a great guy and does the same thing I do, then I realized Bert was trying to get it out of my hands before I hurt someone and that's a good thing. I am a metal polisher and refinisher that gets to engrave after the tedious the work is done. I do mostly Winchester lever guns the Colt stuff is just starting to come in and I just wanted to be sure.
Thanks again,Leland

Latest posts

Sponsors