Graver identification please

Karlspinks

I'm very new to engraving but after watching a few YouTube videos it looks very much like flair cutting.

Cristian demcamilis has a video which he shows his graver for this type of cutting :
https://youtu.be/No9dI0PZXWY

Obviously in the video you posted its showing a fancy ground face but I presume it's similar? Don't take my word I'm just adding one and one together and may be making 5.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Will someone please tell me what style or geometry of graver this guy is using in this video? https://youtu.be/iYDjvmkSD5w?list=LL33j5MorH1dY6I4g8OiYKLQ

Alexandre made me one of those gravers like he's using in the video. He makes them by hand and without a sharping fixture. The V is much wider than a 120° graver which is the widest I use. The heel is sharpened parallel and is very short with relief grindings on the sides and belly. He makes them from Carbide.

Pros:
With this geometry heel drag is nearly nonexistent.
Extremely wide polished cuts are possible.

Cons:
Can be very tricky to use and takes some getting used to.
Should only be used in soft precious metals.
Limited life since it's so small and has so much relief grinding underneath, it can only be resharpened a few times.

I've seen similar gravers used by watch engravers who produce a very brightcut style used on watch movements. One in particular was a Japanese engraver who brought his gravers for me to see when I was working a show in Tokyo. Each one was a little work of art, with beautiful shaping and polishing to perfection. It would be heartbreaking to shatter one!

JOEYS CARVED ART

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys for the reply. I had an idea that it was a custom graver of some sort. I tried to make one similar to it even though I had no idea of what geometries to use so I went with what I thought would work and the result was pretty bad to say the least. Anyway, it sure is a unique looking graver that turns out beautiful cuts.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Having spent some time making small specialty gravers, and being somewhat heavy handed at the bench, I can indeed say it's heartbreaking when one of them shatters.

Latest posts

Sponsors