+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,899
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default New question: Anybody have LASIK?

    I've always wondered if the various corrective eye surgeries were compatible with our trade's necessity of excellent vision at very close range. It's the main reason I've never considered having it done, even tho I've suffered the inconvenience of spectacles since I was 10 yrs old for distance. I didn't want to risk any chance of compromising the visual acuity needed for my work.

    I'm guessing, like me, many of us avoided it for that reason, but since there are a lot of folks who've taken up engraving as a hobby later in life, perhaps some of them had eye surgery before deciding to try the most frustrating pastime since the invention of golf? How has it affected your vision at various distances, both immediately and over time?

    PLEASE NOTE: I AM NOT, REPEAT, NOT, IN THE MARKET FOR THIS PROCEDURE. I'm just curious what others' experiences have been. Lately it seems if I ask for the time of day I get detailed info on clock & watchmaking. I'm really not interested in what all I need to be mindful of when choosing a doctor/clinic, etc., etc., etc. If somebody wants to start a new thread on the particulars, pitfalls to avoid, etc., knock yourselves out. Thank you.
    Mitch Moschetti

    MRM ENGRAVING
    www.mrmengraving.com

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Tehran-Iran
    Posts
    250
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Dear Mithch,

    My wife had LASIK some years ago. At the very beginning after recovery everything is good and you are satisfied to get rid of glasses but as the surgeon told her, she will get Presbyopia sooner than a normal person. I am always against such surgeries since if it was good the Ophthalmologists would have such operations but when you visit them they all have glasses exactly because of such side affects.

    Now after years she is suffering and faced with some problems as she says sometimes.

  3. Likes Dave London, mitch, Brian Marshall liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
    Posts
    3,096
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I agree... I had the most incredible eye doc for 25 years. Retired now.

    He was an eye surgeon and the ONLY doc I ever knew who, when he had to do a surgery - would run a practice surgery on sheep or pig eyeballs the night before each surgery.

    He invited me to come watch a coupla times, which I did. Learned a lot listening to him describe eye diseases.

    I asked him point blank what he thought of the LASIK procedure and his reply was simply - "I do them when people ask/insist - but as you can see, I am wearing glasses...."


    He did his surgeries under a Zeiss OPMI. Which is why I chose to use one myself. One of the best decisions I've ever made.

    Took some months to put my first one together and I have built at least 20 of them for other engravers over the years since. Getting too difficult to do that these days.


    Brian
    Last edited by Brian Marshall; 02-11-2017 at 06:56 PM.

  5. Likes Dave London, mitch liked this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Posts
    592
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I had lasik in one eye 20 years ago. Been engraving about 5 years. No problem. I did it so I could see distance but still read without glasses. Doc told me that I would still have the normal need for reading glasses as I got older and it is true. I use reading glasses now but still engrave under the scope, drive and play golf (which is still the number one frustrating hobby Mitch) with no glasses. Worked perfect for me.
    Best regards,
    David Sheehan

    Website: http://dsengraver.com
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/dsengraver

  7. Likes mitch liked this post
  8. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,899
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davidshe View Post
    I had lasik in one eye 20 years ago.
    huh. never heard of having just one eye done...
    Mitch Moschetti

    MRM ENGRAVING
    www.mrmengraving.com

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I had it done 3 years ago. I had really bad distance vision. Could not see anything clearly a few feet away. The next day I had 20/15 vision. No more contacts or dry eyes from them. No more annoying glasses. Just perfect vision. One of the best things I have spent money on.

  10. Likes mitch liked this post
  11. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    jefferson city Missouri
    Posts
    203
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mitch View Post
    I've always wondered if the various corrective eye surgeries were compatible with our trade's necessity of excellent vision at very close range. It's the main reason I've never considered having it done, even tho I've suffered the inconvenience of spectacles since I was 10 yrs old for distance. I didn't want to risk any chance of compromising the visual acuity needed for my work.

    I'm guessing, like me, many of us avoided it for that reason, but since there are a lot of folks who've taken up engraving as a hobby later in life, perhaps some of them had eye surgery before deciding to try the most frustrating pastime since the invention of golf? How has it affected your vision at various distances, both immediately and over time?

    PLEASE NOTE: I AM NOT, REPEAT, NOT, IN THE MARKET FOR THIS PROCEDURE. I'm just curious what others' experiences have been. Lately it seems if I ask for the time of day I get detailed info on clock & watchmaking. I'm really not interested in what all I need to be mindful of when choosing a doctor/clinic, etc., etc., etc. If somebody wants to start a new thread on the particulars, pitfalls to avoid, etc., knock yourselves out. Thank you.
    Golf was never an invention, but created by the evil spirts from past engravers! It is so evil that at one time it was outlawed in England because it was taking up to much time from the field and other types of similar things.
    Skill comes from diligence.

  12. Likes mitch liked this post
  13. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,899
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by helipirate View Post
    I had it done 3 years ago. I had really bad distance vision. Could not see anything clearly a few feet away. The next day I had 20/15 vision. No more contacts or dry eyes from them. No more annoying glasses. Just perfect vision. One of the best things I have spent money on.
    and how was and is your close distance vision? and at your age(?), what's your prognosis for future reading glasses, etc.?
    Mitch Moschetti

    MRM ENGRAVING
    www.mrmengraving.com

  14. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    175
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I had this surgery almost 11 years ago at the age of 24.

    I was not able to see who was standing in front of me just from 3 meters away, as you see my eyes had a terrible vision.

    The surgery took less than 10 minutes. They did not give any kind of drug to make me sleep, I was totally awake and did not feel anything, not a very little pain.

    When the surgery is over my vision was still same.That was disappointing because I thought that as soon as it had finished I would see perfectly.

    My doctor told me go home, have some rest and try to sleep.


    A few hours later I realized that I was able to see who is sitting in fron of me.

    The next morning when I woke up, wooowww it was awsome, my vision was as clear as a hd cam, lol

    Almost 11 years passed and I have never had any problem, my vision is still as same as the next day of the surgery.

    I can say that this is the best thing that I have ever done and whenever I see someone who wears glasses, I ask the same question, why don't you have a surgery?

    While engraving, I don't have any problem but I can not tell difference because I started engraving just 3 years ago.

    I paid only 900 Turkish lira 11 years ago and it was equall to about 700 USD, on the other hand a new pair of glasses was about 200 Turkish Lira.

    Now this surgery is about 4.000 Turkish Lira and now it is equal to 900 USD.
    Last edited by SalihKara; 02-12-2017 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Spelling
    May God keep your graver sharp

  15. Likes Dave London, mitch, sam liked this post
  16. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mitch View Post
    and how was and is your close distance vision? and at your age(?), what's your prognosis for future reading glasses, etc.?
    Close distance vision was and is still good. Prognosis for future reading glasses is just like anyone else. When you get old you will probably need them. I had Lasik at age 31, I am 34 now.

  17. Likes mitch liked this post
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


GRS Skyscraper


Jumbo Pin Plates


Drawing Scrolls


Download Videos

Cafe page views since 18-Nov-2006.