Putting together a general pricing guide for hand engravers...

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I've not been able to use the keyboard well enough here of late to work on this much - but I have made a lot of notes for whenever the docs get done arguing about what they are gonna do next about the pinched nerve in my neck...

This"pricelist" HAS to be based on the average amount of time required to do a specific job.

From that you can simply plug in any cost of living or locale/regional variation you wish.

And you will be able to compare how efficiently you can complete the simple jobs we plan to list - and work at being beating the "average" to put a few shekels more in your pocket.

Brian

An example might be AVERAGE the time it takes to inlay 1 inch of gold wire border - or cutting a rope edge on a 3" x 4" oval sterling buckle.

This is not a list that is gonna apply to custom art engraving, that cannot be done... but a guide for the bread and butter, common, everyday jobs IS possible, with a little work and some collaboration.

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OK, I can't keyboard easily - but I gotta be doing something about this, so let's start this rolling...

Here is how I imagine it working:

This HAS to be a collaboration. So I am requesting ideas, advice and information from ALL of you - even the newbies. Especially those who have some business experience.

We need to know what methods engravers use from first contact with the client to the finished job. Including sketches, records and images. (and up front charges for the sketches)

We need a take-in procedure that will cover as many eventualities as possible - right up to the end of the process - billing, shipping, insurance and payment methods.

We need information on the time required for "generic" or standard jobs. Lettering would be a good example. IE style of lettering, height, quantity and materials & surfaces covered.

Flat, cylindrical, domed and convex on precious metals, different hardnesses of steel, titanium, etc. Different makes and models and models of firearms. We'll include a reference to those makes/models best avoided.

Standard rush job "penalties". As in the night before Valentines Day...

All information shared will be held confidential unless the donor says otherwise.

No one will "find out" that someone nearby is faster at it or charging less than you are - unless you choose to have your name attached.

I will definitely give credit where credit is due, but only if that is your choice and you don't mind seeing your name up in lights. Make sure you specify this when you send me information privately.

Once I have a good store of information, we'll start averaging it out and weeding out the best ideas you guys & gals come up with...

What do y'all think about including images of the specific work we need to get average time frames for?

Brian

Please use instructor@jewelryartschool.com for your informational donations to this project. Please include your location and perhaps years of experience?

Last edited:

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Brian, Back when I was doing contract work, we came up with a system of averaging time over 10 pieces that were the same shape ect. and recorded that. As time went by we made a few adjustments ,also when the prices increased for the product we made adjustments of equal proportion to the list for engraving .It was very simple and it worked for many years that way. If there was a special job ,we just agreed on a price before going ahead on it,usually 25-50% increase.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sorry, lots of distractions for me this time of year... and another elbow release surgery coming up :(

What I have so far indicates that the average ranges from $30 to $100 an hour. $60 hr. seems average so far, for a "competent" engraver who can handle any material, and cut any style.

All bets are off when you get into engraving one off pieces and "art" engraving.

There your skills, reputation, and whatever the client is willing to pay for the "deluxe", over the top work determine the price - and it is NOT by the hour at that level!

I will get this done, just been too many interruptions here of late.

Brian