Burin rangé

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
Hello
I ve got a question for the maestros out there..
In this print I wondered how the "white" vertical lines (in red) come to existence--
are the made just by creating perfect dotted lines (in blue) or is there a trick out of the hat??
thanks a bunch in advance
:beerchug:

Attachments

• burin range.jpg
    burin range.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 194
  • burin range - sp.jpg
    burin range - sp.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 196

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
some more examples

Attachments

• IMG_20170208_102638.jpg
    IMG_20170208_102638.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_20170208_161723.jpg
    IMG_20170208_161723.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 190

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think you are looking at a wood engraving or metal engraving where the surface is being ink and printed as oppose to the incised lines sort of like a scratchboard effect technically known a bas relief not intaglio
Love the tree in the snow

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The top photo doesn't look like a engraving. It looks like a digital print. Even if it is a digital print of an engraving the structure is changed.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes, Roger and Marty: the picture posted is apparently a print; the actual engraving used to make it is a reverse image of that which is shown.

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Frank,

Marty is right. This is a widely used historic technique, I unfortunately do not know the correct name for it. You think of a blank and polished sheet of metal (zinc or copper etc.) You draw your motif (flipped) and imagine the surface to be black. What you cut will appear white in a print, because in this technique the surface of the metal is covered with printers ink and thus the surface prints black. All engraved lines remain white. It is just the opposite of an intaglio print. It can be done relatively quick compared to engraving a copper plate for Intaglio printing. The effects come the engraved highlights. It´s like drawing with a white colored crayon or pencil on a paper with a dark tone. On many examples you can find really parallel lines. These were produced by a special graver "Zweireiher", a liner with two points. You can identify this technique if you think: -the white lines can be cut easily and the opposite seems to be almost impossible to do...
Of course, large dark areas are of an advantage in a layout for this technique. Often it was used in old catalogues and for all kind of illustrations. Old Klischees (zinc printing plates) you can find on flee markets. There are mounted on wood and the bulk of the metal was milled off or etched off. I have inverted your sample and I think it makes it very visible that the lines which appear white in the print were engraved.
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taille_d'épargne
It usually was combinded with lead letters becasue the same printing machine could be employed. https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleisatz
Later all of that was replaced by this: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photocomposition
All the best,
Martin

Attachments

• burin range inverted.jpg
    burin range inverted.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 142

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
I forgot to mention another key indicator: the absence of clean, dark, thin lines. Even more visible: there are no real (linear) contours/outlines in such pictures.

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks a lot you all, especially Martin for the extended version..
This was really helpfully information.

Latest posts

Sponsors