anybody price gold wire inlay by the inch?

Riflesmith

Elite Cafe Member
Gave this some thought. It takes about 7 or 8 times the time it would take to cut a 1inch line to inlay that line with gold plus the amount of gold. That's from first cut to finish strike off using 28ga wire in a narrow line, i.e. lettering or border. Once the line gets wide enough for a single strand of gold wire the price would increase to 10 times the single cut line. Hope that helps you out Brian.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gave this some thought. It takes about 7 or 8 times the time it would take to cut a 1inch line to inlay that line with gold plus the amount of gold. That's from first cut to finish strike off using 28ga wire in a narrow line, i.e. lettering or border. Once the line gets wide enough for a single strand of gold wire the price would increase to 10 times the single cut line. Hope that helps you out Brian.

that's about how i've been figuring it, too. basically taking into account how many passes of various tools to inlay vs. just cutting a plain line. also factoring in that i virtually always cut a fine outline on both sides. i almost never leave a gold line 'naked' on the edges, even if the part will be blued.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I recently bought 5 dwt $364.00 equals 26 ft 30 ga. Comes out to $14.00 a foot no labor.

Last edited:

Sponsors