Engraving Example for Study - Pape Boxlock

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
I recently acquired another addition to my collection of English doubles which was specifically added as an example of some of the moderate relief engraving to be found on W. R. Pape guns. As a beginner I find it very useful to study how cuts are made in the real thing, or failing that on largely expanded photographs when they're available on sites like Holt's. I thought I'd post a few dumbphone photos. If anyone is interested in seeing more detailed images of particular areas just say so and I'll try and take some "macro" photos and post them. The engraver is anonymous although the style is definitely that attributed by Tate to one "Woodruff" who apparently performed engraving for Pape. Regardless I think it's rather impressive. I believe it is referred to as "Floral Cup". The "flowers" almost, but not quite, look like hops to me... which gives me ideas about vine engraving.

Jeremy

Attachments

• pape floral cup.jpg
    pape floral cup.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 520
  • pape floral cup 2.jpg
    pape floral cup 2.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 527
  • pape floral cup 3.jpg
    pape floral cup 3.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 528

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Can you tell how the background was removed? I've never seen anything quite like this. Are those chisel marks or I wonder if it was chemically etched?

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
Sam
I'd swear that the background was removed by burin then blacked somehow, but I'm a relative ignoramus when it comes to examining the subtleties of engraving. It didn't strike me as etched but I'll have to take a closer look and ponder that. I'll see if I can get more revealing photographs of the background and the edges near the relief work.
For reference the techniques used at the time, the gun was retailed in 1909 and I'm sure engraved just prior to sale.
Jeremy

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I "expanded" the view as best I could and I don't think the marks were caused by burin, they look too uniform and smooth, in a random kind of way. Of course, I'm no expert and have been known to be wrong (ask my wife!)

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
Here are the best close ups I could manage on the background on this gun engraving. I tried to take a few against the edge as well where the cuts are highlighted. I personally don't see evidence of etching there which is where I'd expect it to be most evident. It looks like the background was cut away with a graver and partially filled with a blacking compound.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 266
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 267
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 268
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 264
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 266
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 265
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 263
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 262
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 263

AliAtiyabi

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice work. In Iran we make such engraving by hammering the background. The work is by Master Alamdari.

Attachments

• IMAG0725.jpg
    IMAG0725.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 258
  • IMAG0707.jpg
    IMAG0707.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 256
  • IMAG0711.jpg
    IMAG0711.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 253
  • IMAG0723.jpg
    IMAG0723.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 252
  • IMAG0708.jpg
    IMAG0708.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 249
  • IMAG0709.jpg
    IMAG0709.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 248
  • IMAG0710.jpg
    IMAG0710.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Can you tell how the background was removed? I've never seen anything quite like this. Are those chisel marks or I wonder if it was chemically etched?

Sam, from the new posting it mostly looks like it was done with a single point engraver.
But there are also places where it looks like a liner was used. Could it be a combination?
Liner in some of the larger areas and single point where space was tight ?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
interesting work. a fine looking work. as for etching, idon't think there's any showing on the closeups.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, from the new posting it mostly looks like it was done with a single point engraver.
But there are also places where it looks like a liner was used. Could it be a combination?
Liner in some of the larger areas and single point where space was tight ?

I agree John upon better closeups.

Latest posts

Sponsors