Question: Hi-force solder (Brownell's)

rossm10

Hello All,
Does anyone have much experience with the Hi-Force solder, and/or the Hi-Temp Hi force solder from Brownell's ?? I'm wondering if I can use it to solder bronze sheet 16-18 gauge, to 16-18 gauge Sterling?? i.e. bronze accents to silver buckles etc.???
Thank You,
Ross

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You can but it might not be the best. It depends on what you intend to do with the buckles afterwards. Is there going to be further soldering done after the high force is used? That high force high temp required that you use the special flux that goes with it. I have that stuff but rarely use it. If it were me I would prefer the extra easy silver solder.

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
I have been brazing and soldering for nearly 60 years, and if there are worse products sold by Brownells than these two solders and their complementary fluxes I have yet to find them. You can with trouble make the low temperature work, and with much much trouble maybe make the higher temp work-- a big maybe.

However, the silver solder and it's complementary flux that Brownells sells is a wonderful product and will flow at about 1270 degree F and do what you need to do.

rossm10

I was going to form the buckle (trophy style buckle) then solder the hardware on back. Then solder 1/4" bronze buttons on the front with the Hi-force??. Also, I have a spun copper shot glass that is about 20 gauge thick and I have engraved 2 large flowers on it with scrolls connecting them, and was thinking of using it to solder 1/4" 16 ga. bronze flower centers on the shot glass?? I'm just a little worried about trying to heat the shot glass up to 1,250 degrees...

metalchipper

Elite Cafe Member
Hi-Force 44 flows at 475 degrees, Hi-temp-Hi-Force at 640-650. I have used the stuff that flows at 475 degrees, just have the material clean before you try to solder. Using Kapp Comer flux. It is soft solder with no lead. Maybe I don't know any better, but it works for me.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
The 475 stuff is fine to solder to the outside of the shot glass.

Not so fine to put ornaments on the face of the buckle, because somewhere down the road some poor fool may not realize that when he goes to change out or repair the back?

If you've no reason to suspect that someone has done that - then you may destroy the front of the buckle when you get to 1,250 or more.

Brian

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brownell has two different high force solders. One is low temp and the other is high temp. The low temp melts at about 475 and the high temp melts at near 675°. I would still go with the extra easy silver solder. It flows at about 1200° F. That copper won't melt to about 1800 ° and the silver will stand at least 1600°. You need to study soldering. The low temp high force isn't any different than stay bright. Your not supposed to use lead or tin based solders on silver or gold and still market it a sterling. Just a technicality. The high temp high force is difficult to use to say the least.
https://www.riogrande.com/Product/Silver-Paste-Solder-560-Extra-Easy/103099
They have it in sheet also

Last edited:

rossm10

Makes sense....any good soldering books or resources for learning more about soldering??
Thanks,
Ross Go Advanced Cancel

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yep joints have to be tight, cleanliness , cleanliness , cleanliness , cleanliness . Don't over heat .
Practice practice practice practice practice . Solder flows to the heat. Good luck

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There is a CD called Soldering Beyond the basics. I think it is sold by Rio Grande jeweler's supply. It is pretty good. That title might not be exactly right but close.

Latest posts

Sponsors