Hello All!

My name is Michael and I'm new to the forum.

I'm happy to have found the Engravers Cafe and all of it's talented artists, craftsmen and engravers. And all in one place, that's amazing.

I've been an engraver and silversmith for a long time, but I feel that I'm still constantly learning and I'm always interested in learning new techniques from experienced pros.

To tell a bit about myself, I started learning hand engraving in 1991, and worked for many different belt buckle companies. I’ve had many mentors for engraving and all the other facets of traditional hand made belt buckle crafting. Most of the engraving I did in my younger years was traditional western bright cut scroll-work performed on a production type basis.

More recently I’ve gone to a slower pace and have been really enjoying making my own hand made jewelry pieces using solid silver, gold and copper. I also incorporate my bright cutting into most of my work.

Thanks for reading!
-Michael

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the welcome!

Here.is.me,

When I think about sharing my work here, I feel kind of reluctant.

Be easy on me guys,,,, here goes nothing.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/e1/d5/1a/e1d51a5da42450f123ac0f26b9d27e55.jpg

I designed and hand made this event buckle a few months ago. The filigree scrolls were push hand engraved. The buckle design is a commonly seen layout in the western rodeo world, but i did my own version of it. The customer was pretty firm on what layout they wanted, so I didn't have much room for taking liberties on the layout. Anyway, thanks for looking.

Last edited:

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
Sierra silversmith I just finished viewing your page and if you are calling yourself a rooky I am in deep dodo. Your art and execution are simply great.
Skill comes from diligence.

Hi gcleaker,

Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you like it.

I didn't mean to sound like a rookie, my apologies for not being too clear. I have 26 years in silversmithing. I was just mentioning that I'm always trying to learn more and improve certain areas and I'm glad to be in contact with you all.

-Michael

Last edited:
It was done with a jewelers saw (4/0 blade), propane torch, silver solder, polishing set up, various hammers, a pantograph (for the banner lettering), stippling tool, 2 hand engraving tools and a large pot of coffee.

-Michael

Hahaha.... Yes,,, there might have been more coffee involved, and some Earl Gray too. Brian, It's nice to see another silversmith here.

I saw an older post the other day about that you teach forming and shaping dies. I've always been very interested in dies, and I have a small amount of experience In the area but I would like to learn more and I would like to come visit you this summer.

-Michael

Sponsors