Intaglio printing

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
Anyone know of "how-to" resources on the past art of engraving script for intaglio printing? Copperplate and engravers script (roundhand, engrossers script) seem to have been developed jointly by engravers and engrossers. There is ample information on how to execute the written portion performed by the engrosser (such as on the IAMPETH.com website) but I have not found anything on how the engraver practiced his craft. To the modern engraver it seems straightforward but I'd like to see how the engravers of the 1800's were instructed. If you look at old printing plates there just seems to be a subtle elegance that is somwhat different in the modern form. Thanks.

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I don't know if this will help but you might get some ideas by going to internet archives (archive.org) and search for Winters School of Jewelry Engraving. The author is Albert A. Winter. I think it was published around the turn of the 20th century.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
The Albert A. Winter book on lettering is a wonderful book for anyone interested in jewelry engraving it was published in 1939.:thumbsup: J.J.

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
Wow, the Winters book is fantastic. Definitely going in the library.

What I'm looking for is probably more in the printmaking field than in ornamental engraving. I guess it would be akin to the banknote style practised here.

Anyway, thanks for the tip. What a wonderful book!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
there are many old, beautiful books available now on much of the old ways that things were done. some are free, some of the downloadable ones cost a bit, but are worth it. it's like getting in a time machine. for one thing, the language used way back when was far different from now. it's fun just to read for the fun of it.

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
There are tons of books on handwriting. Before typewriters everything had to be handwritten. There was quite an industry teaching people to write for business. Thats where our current script for engraving originated. It's worth learning roundhand and how to use an oblique penholder and steel nib. I'm going to buy some of the old printing plates and see how they engraved for printing vs. for ornamentation.