Short-ish engraving video

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
I made an informational-promotional video about engraving a spinning top. Some maybe find it interesting. Using all the usual methods learned from people from this forum :)

Engraving VurrKann #1

All done with non-professional equipment and free NLE editing software (DaVinci Resolve).

Last edited:

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
I enjoyed watching your work, very nice; I think your camera work is spot on.
So when is your next bit of film, I am looking forward to it.
Skill comes from diligence.

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Excellent work, love your workshop set up with that view!!, thank you for sharing, one question if you don't mind please, what objective lens do you have on the Leica to get that working distance?, thanks

Richard.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
I enjoyed watching your work, very nice; I think your camera work is spot on.
So when is your next bit of film, I am looking forward to it.
Skill comes from diligence.

Thanks. Next bit... hard to say. It takes lots and lots of time to make videos such as these. I think I spent 2-3 days just cutting it together. Or maybe it takes that long because I do so few of them? Who knows...

I did have an idea at some point to to small series about different transfer methods. There seems to be always questions about them. China white, laser+acetone, transfer wax, injet+transparency.

Thanks, very nice work.

The video is well done, the music is mesmerizing.

Thanks. It took many hours to find that track :). I didn't want it to be just the regular "contemplative piano" track that so many watchmakers etc. use all the time. I even found out how the copyright stuff works for such videos. Buy the track, tell youtube I've bought the rights for its use etc.

Excellent work, love your workshop set up with that view!!, thank you for sharing, one question if you don't mind please, what objective lens do you have on the Leica to get that working distance?, thanks

Richard.

I use 0.5x lens. Nice working distance, right? Actually could be even little more for me, as I am much above average height. But that'll do for now.

I've been asked about the camera setup. So here it goes, maybe useful for some who do shows, instructions etc.

Camera body is Lapsun, costs 130USD with free shipping. Many sellers for this on ebay, aliexpress etc. Puts out HDMI to show straight on monitor or TV. 720p, but that'll do 99% of the time. Can also save videos and photos straight to microSD.

Lens is this 1-100x magnification C-mount lens, costs 40 USD. I bought 2 other lens for testing as well, but this seems to be the best. Not a zoom lens, so you'll have to adjust the distance manually. But it focuses over a very large distances, so that's good.

Here's how my current setup looks like:

Yes, it has slight angle difference with the microscope view, but it's not too bad. If camera is moved 5cm higher, then it could be also close to the microscope body. Even smaller angle difference.

The "monopod" is something we threw up quickly, should've been bit higher. But it works. Camera is mounted on a small tabletop tripod ball head (from Cullmann Magnesit Copter), very useful and versatile. That way it can be pointed whereever. Camera body is quite light, so even these 2 quick clamps hold the monopod quite sturdily.

Latest posts

Sponsors