I have a confession to make

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
engraved_knife-PC-2.jpg

I have a confession to make. The engraved knife I posted yesterday was not engraved. It was a test to see if Procreate and the iPad Pro could produce a design that looked like it was actually engraved. It took me a couple of hours to draw the design, which I think proves that it can work well as a prototyping tool for an engraving job, if you wanted or needed that capability. :cool:

Sam

Staff member
Well if you are getting so danged good at least you could have made me look 20 years younger!! On second thought, don't you dare!!!

I started to, but then I figured you had enough girls chasing you already and I didn't want to add to your burden ;)

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very good Sam, but, for me, there was something not quite right....it's not as good as your actual engraving ;)

The other give away is the pixels when it's blown up compared to the rest of the picture :)

Good though, all the same!

Phil

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i suspected as much when the 'photo' was taken from across the room... :rolleyes:

Sam

Staff member
Very good Sam, but, for me, there was something not quite right....it's not as good as your actual engraving ;)

The other give away is the pixels when it's blown up compared to the rest of the picture :)

Good though, all the same!

Phil

Thanks Phil! I drew the engraving at a very small size, and it's apparent that it's not as good as an actual engraving. If I were to do it again, I would draw it 10x larger which would give me proper detail, then shrink to fit the bolster. Then I believe it would be even more accurate and convincing. Anyway, I can see possibilities for this being a good tool for producing the look of a finished engraving, although it's not something I require very often. I guess this is how I have fun when I'm not working :D

Sam

Staff member
i suspected as much when the 'photo' was taken from across the room... :rolleyes:

A couple of friends said the same thing. I normally have closeup shots of engraving so they were suspicious when I posted this one!

Wade Patton

Auto Scrolls, the new Computer Aided Engravers' program. Call Sam. :cool:

or ScrollCAD?

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
One thing you might think about... is that if the drawing is that good (and it is) - someone, somewhere, someday - is going to be able to couple these quality drawings with a CAD/CAM program that has yet to be written - and be able to take a nap for the rest of the day...

Brian

Sam

Staff member
One thing you might think about... is that if the drawing is that good (and it is) - someone, somewhere, someday - is going to be able to couple these quality drawings with a CAD/CAM program that has yet to be written - and be able to take a nap for the rest of the day...

Brian

I guess there's always that risk with a photo, drawing, or whatever. Not sure this particular one is any more vulnerable than a good photo. But yeah, it'll happen!

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
maybe "virtual engraving" will become a new collector market. can't afford that new Purdey with a blow-out engraving job? here's the next best thing!

Andrew Biggs

Oh no!!!!....Fake news and now fake engraving!!! Is nothing sacred??? :)

It wasn't that long ago that you could spot CNC and laser engraving from across the room.............now you have to look a lot more closely. Especially some of the 3D animal scenes.

One of the biggest tell tale signs was the design and now that has improved considerably. Combine that with technology over the next twenty years....................

Cheers
Andrew

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
I also wondered why the pic was small and the shading did look a bit soft and faint but, at first glance it looked pretty good....

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
My point was that now that drawing at that level has been transformed into electrons - it won't be long before a program is developed to translate those electrons to drive a machine... which as they also get better and better - will produce results that will eventually become competitive to "real" hand engraving...

Someday perhaps those who can draw well - can spend a lot more time napping? And less time making chips.

B.

Sam

Staff member
My point was that now that drawing at that level has been transformed into electrons - it won't be long before a program is developed to translate those electrons to drive a machine... which as they also get better and better - will produce results that will eventually become competitive to "real" hand engraving...

Someday perhaps those who can draw well - can spend a lot more time napping? And less time making chips.

B.

Gotcha. I'm pro-nap, too!

Brian Trace

Sam,

Is there any chance that the richness of the iPad Pro and Procreate threads could be collected into a Sticky?

My reason is that the volume growth in Forum Members interest / posts and creative outputs has fantastically whetted many appetites and similarly frustrated many others. But your and others abilities to demonstrate the import of design frames / pictures, how you resize them and then superimpose them on desirable objects helps with the visualisation of an idea and is perhaps a game-changer for many. Could you perhaps for your knife bolster trick try some colour effects like gold / other inlay embellishments / shadows to see what it looks like? Would any other takers with the toys be able to produce a realistic colour output on say a knife bolster?

Brian

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member

B.

Brian, I DID that. That program exist since a few years ago. It is driving the Artesà machine! :)

Sam, I was one of those who thought what a little picture.... mmmm. Anyway that was a good one from you!

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hello my friend.
I was wondering what you thought of all this Leonardo since you have invented a machine that can cut it in 3-D with thick and thin lines.
What is happening with the development and sales of your Artesa machine.?

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Hello my friend.
I was wondering what you thought of all this Leonardo since you have invented a machine that can cut it in 3-D with thick and thin lines.
What is happening with the development and sales of your Artesa machine.?

Hi John!! It is really nice to see you posting in the Cafe again. You was missed here too... not only in Las Vegas!

The fact is that my machine is not for all the people. It is a must to know designing, drawing and, of course, engraving to be able to take advantage of this technology. It is not like a laser machine in which you can scan an image and send it to the machine in raster mode... far from that. You need to draw your design in a vector format planing ahead how you want to be engraved. The machine, then, will be able to perform all that movements engraving your design. That is the reason because I like to call the Artesa machine "your engraving assistance".

Currently I am offering the machine with a previous agreement and will only be assembled on demand. It will not be a massive product, just a great tool for some smart geeks! (Sorry if I use the word "geek" inappropriately).

All the very best for you my friend! :)
Leonardo

Sponsors