Question: What is this ?

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi,

I wached Holland & Holland video on you tube and towards to end of video, they put black paint on engraving and clean the excess of paint and after that they put something on engraving, kind of liquid substance.

Please watch the video from 16:58. After he had removed / cleaned the excess of the paint he put something on engraving by using a kind of white cloth.

What is it ? What does it do ?

[video=youtube;qUXoNUzAyvk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUXoNUzAyvk&t=922s[/video]

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I like how the excess black fill comes off easily, the second step is a sealer of some sorts, there is a sealer that has been mentioned in the past the name escapes me right now, it's used on boats if I remember correctly, im sure John B. knows the name I think I read it from one of his posts, but you can also use renaissance wax to seal, and rustoleum flat black for the fill.

GunEngraver.com Custom Guns Knives and More PAYMENT PLANS Available

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Dear Carlos,

What is the advantage of this product, what is the purpose of using it ?
Does it worth to try or not ?
Is it possible for you to find the exact name of this product and where it is sold ?

I like how the excess black fill comes off easily, the second step is a sealer of some sorts, there is a sealer that has been mentioned in the past the name escapes me right now, it's used on boats if I remember correctly, im sure John B. knows the name I think I read it from one of his posts, but you can also use renaissance wax to seal, and rustoleum flat black for the fill.

GunEngraver.com Custom Guns Knives and More PAYMENT PLANS Available

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ban the videos, close the west coast studios for OSHA violations. Let the Long Shoremen Union bust the Chinese from unloading their ships or inspect the contents of each and every container, unload the ships and load them with illegals and send them home to china, they got lots of empty houses. they can have the Jahodies.

Fred, What on earth are you talking about and how is it related to this thread???

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
More than likely the black paint is printers ink and the final application is either clear laquer or a mixture of heated beeswax.

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Dear Carlos,

What is the advantage of this product, what is the purpose of using it ?
Does it worth to try or not ?
Is it possible for you to find the exact name of this product and where it is sold ?

SalihKara, I think this is what Carlos was referring to, Spar Varnish,

http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthread.php?1764-French-Grey-technique-by-John-B&p=17381

there are 2 types of it, you have to have the right one, read this,

http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthread.php?15324-Spar-varnish-rosen-vs-plastic

Hope this helps,

Richard.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
SalihiKara: I think Phil Coggan mentioned once, that on some pictures he posted of some frames from a pair of side by side shotguns, That they were inked and lacquered.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger, I must have hit the control key when I typed Van and pasted an unrelated post from another comment site- Should proof read before you move off the page

Latest posts

Sponsors