Rifle and Knife set

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
I was commissioned to hand engrave this prototype set consisting of a Prototype Browning X-Bolt rifle and a custom made Russ Kommer hunting knife. The serial number on the rifle, 17KOMMER00 denotes a prototype project and was also engraved onto the matching custom knife.

The rifle was a challenge because the barrel and action were one unit and 32" long. Quite a bit different than engraving a watch!

The knife is made from RWL 34 steel. The hollow-ground, mirror polished, drop point blade has a tapered tang with triple liners. The bolsters are made from 416 stainless steel. The knife was on display at the 2017 Shot Show Browning booth and received many nice comments and offers to buy although it was not for sale.

My engraving work certainly does not compare with many of the top end engravers on this forum but I try to focus on clean, deep cutting to make up for my lack of artistic talent :) Thanks for looking!

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Jerry and Sam. I have to admit that I decided on the leaf border on the rifle because I had no idea how I would spin that 32" barrel to do scrolls. Hats off to you rifle engravers out there who can do that!

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
David, Good job on the rifle and knife set.
The barrel can be spun in a vertical rotation rather than in a flat spin. You don't have to duck out of the way.
I believe I posted Cafe pictures of the rig holding a rifle or shotgun some years ago and you may find them in the tips archive.
Give me a shout if you can't find them and I will check if I still have them.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
David, Good job on the rifle and knife set.
The barrel can be spun in a vertical rotation rather than in a flat spin. You don't have to duck out of the way.
I believe I posted Cafe pictures of the rig holding a rifle or shotgun some years ago and you may find them in the tips archive.
Give me a shout if you can't find them and I will check if I still have them.
John,

You never cease to amaze me!
I have some searching to do now.

David,

Clean as always!

GunEngraver.com Custom Guns Knives and More PAYMENT PLANS Available

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Brant, John, Carlos and Ali for your nice comments. John, I looked up your vertical workholding rig in the tips archive and it is a great idea! You mention that you used medical loupes of some kind. I have tried engraving with a #7 or #10 visor but I am just too spoiled on the scope. What kind of visor/medical glasses do you use for something like this? Thanks.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
David, for a while I used assistant surgeon's loupes for some things because they have a longer focal distance than the surgeons type.
But I found it very difficult and a pain in the neck to keep my head steady enough. But Bert Edmonston uses loupes I believe.
The loupes I used were Neitz Model BLP-4 or BLS-3T
Now I again just use my #5, #7 or #10 Optivisor when not using a scope.
Using them over a set of drug store 3.5 diopter gives me plenty of magnification and enough focal distance for push or power engraving.

Last edited:

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Omar and thanks John B. for the info regarding the optivisors and glasses. Will try using some 3x reading glasses under my #10.

Latest posts

Sponsors