Impressions Of the 2017 FEGA Show

Andrew Biggs

Well, the 2017 FEGA show is done and dusted and just about everyone will be back home by now.

From a personal perspective I have come home, tired, inspired, invigorated, recharged and motivated. Seeing the work and meeting so many good people is truly rewarding in so many ways. To visit with old friends and make new ones is always a real pleasure.

The quality of the work was outstanding and in many cases inspiring. Where else do you get to meet so many engravers in one room and meet the artists that created the engravings.

It was a real pleasure visiting and chatting with everyone. Three days plus seminar day seems like a long time but it goes so fast.

The award winners will be in the next FEGA Engraver magazine and on the web site shortly.

There were indeed five new FEGA Master Engravers voted into the program. Jesse Kaufman, Raymond Arnand, David Riccardo, Dean Philbrick and Christophe Roufosse.

It was a real highlight of the show for me to see these guys get their Masters and for Rex Pedersen to get the Meeks award. All thoroughly deserved.

Also a real pleasure to meet Danae from Australia, Tsu Ifan and Peggy from China and catch up with Damien Connolly and see his latest masterpiece that he’s working on..

The generosity of the people that contributed to the auction and auction gun and the generosity of the buyers is truly something to behold. We are blessed to have so many good members and friends of the Guild.

Oh yeah………for those that missed it, the Vegas walk on Monday night was a real hoot. Sitting in a restaurant surrounded by good friends, jungle plants, wild animals, thunder and lightning, drinking out of an elephant glass and laughing our heads off………all I can say is it could only happen in Vegas!!!! :)

The only downside was John B not being there. He was missed by everyone. It was his suggestion that we have a memorial table for engravers that had passed away over the last twelve months. Something we will continue with for every show from now on.

None of this happens by itself and there are so many people to thank. This whole deal is only successful because of everyone involved. The FEGA BOD, auction contributors, auction buyers, FEGA table holders, FEGA members attending the show, Beinfeld Productions, FEGA sponsors, commercial table holders, seminar people and all those people who volunteered to help on the day………..the list is a very long one and we very much appreciate all your hard work, time and effort.

So now I’m looking forward to the 2018 show :)

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
It sounds like it was a fantastic event! I would have loved to have gone, but I was tied up in California for another event that is pretty important to me! If you could PLEASE have the event next year on ANY dates other than January 25-28, so I can actually attend!

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Sorry we could not stay for the Monday night walk-about Andrew. Actually our Monday flight was cancelled and Delta put us up for the night, but far away the action!!

They routed us out on Tuesday morning, and we were surprised and delighted to be seated next to Rex Pedersen - the 2017 Winner of The James B. Meek Award

For those who might not be familiar with this award, it is given rarely, and then only to very deserving individuals. It was my pleasure to present the award to Rex at the Saturday evening banquet. Rex is the seventh recipient of FEGA Meek Award. It is best described as received for "A Lifetime of Devotion and Contributions to the Art of Engraving."

vdrum4250

Elite Cafe Member
was fun , got to meet so many famous people and take pictures with them.. i have their books and dvds and castings... now i have a memory and handshake.. awesome

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike it was a surprise to see you on the plane but not nearly the surprise I got from receiving the Meek Award! It is truly and honor to follow such great people like you Mike. And of course it is a GREAT plaque engraved by Mike as well!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks Andrew. Great summary of the show.

Can FEGA make a rule that John B's attendance is mandatory? I loved the show and seeing everyone, but there was a void with him not being there.

Congratulations to Rex on the award! I can't think of anyone who is more deserving! :clapping: :bow: :beerchug:

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew Biggs and Mike Dubber have described the show vividly. The quality of the engraving and the people in the guild is impressive. The level of skill, intelligence and energy on the show floor must be experienced to be believed. I was impressed not only by the engraving done by our five new masters, but also their personalties. These guys are a lot of fun. I smiled and laughed so much that my face hurts. There wasn’t enough time in those few days to really talk to all the people I wanted to converse with. I hope many of you will be at Scott’s engrave-in, so I can remedy that. I am already looking forward to the 2018 FEGA Expo.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
I second Sam's motion that John B. Must attend.

Thank you Van, Sam and all the other well wishers.
Y'all got me blushing. Sorry I had to miss this year, my bad.
And thanks to all who signed my beautiful card.
My dear friend Katherine Plumer drove a couple of hundred miles out of her way home to deliver it, bless her.
A question....Does the "F" in FEGA stand for Firearms or does it stand for FRIENDLY ENGRAVERS GUILD of AMERICA ??
Thank you all for your good wishes and lets look forward to a great 2018 show.

C Driver

I really missed the show this year, have been there last two years, first year without a table, second year with
a table. If you have a table or not it is a great experience, I urge people to go, it's fun and you will learn so much.
Also new comers don't forget about the emerging artist opportunity that FEGA has , really helps with the cost..
Charlie Driver