Gunsmithing

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
I'm a newbie that would like to eventually get good enough to engrave firearms. How deeply is a gunsmith involved in the process? Taking a gun apart and reassembling it, polishing, bluing, etc. seems a whole lot more involved than the actual engraving process. After removing metal from the working parts of a gun does it need test fired under controlled conditions to make sure it doesn't blow up? If I owned the piece I would have no problem fooling with it but when it's someone else's weapon how deeply does the engraver get involved in the whole process? I'm just wondering and I don't see it discussed here a lot. Thanks for your input.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I do it all from a to z, and i feel that the engraving with how detailed you can get is a process that is "more involved" in my opinion, as the artwork speaks for the owner of the firearm, but without proper prep and refinish it would not come together, so i guess they go hand in hand.

GunEngraver.com Custom Guns Knives and More PAYMENT PLANS Available

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Gunsmithing is a highly skilled profession and requires a lot of knowledge.
Just because someone can take a gun apart does NOT make them a gunsmith.
Every new engraver would be well advised to find a good Gunsmith to work with for assembly, safety and bluing etc.
It is helpful for the engraver to have at least a rudimentary knowledge of firearms and the NRA puts on short summer classes.
Hopefully most firearms engravers are NRA members and the summer classes are announced in their Rifleman magazine.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I work with gunsmiths all the time one that fits gunstocks and checkering one for machine work same times I have a problem reassembling some guns and need help,I know my limitations.pmace try to get with an engraver in Arizona for advice. J.J.

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys. It seems logical to involve other crafts like gunsmiths, knife makers and jewelers for their special knowledge and as a marketing outlet. I just didn't want to spend a lot of time on learning to engrave only to find out that you have to do all of this other stuff as well. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Sponsors