drawplate lube ?

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
I just got my new carbide draw plate in the mail. It was surprisingly heavy. I did a quick search for information on how to use it. I thought it was a little funny I found a post from 2006 from Doc Mark as a beginner asking the same question.
I see to start at the size of my original diameter of wire and draw down and anneal about every couple of draws. I didn't see about a lubricant and ,if needed what type. And does this go pretty well or should I expect a learning curve to get it right ? The same routine for gold, silver or copper ? Thanks in advance for the help, Mark

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
The best lube for a draw plate that I have found is bullet case neck lube.
A little on a cleaning patch and just a touch of the patch to your wire is all it takes.
Whatever lube you use be sure to clean your wire with a patch damp with acetone before inlaying it.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Yes, the same basic techniques for the different metals...some pull with more difficulty than others but work just fine. You can ever draw down soft iron or mild steel wire. Just takes a good taper on the end and a good strong hold while pulling. I have done this many times.

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Lanolin (wool wax) has long been an industry standard for drawing ferrous as well as non-ferrous metals. Enviormantally safe, has few if any sides effects to us humans. It is used in the cosmetic industry as a skin softern and mositureizer.

LVCIAN

I've been using liquid Burlife.

It coats the tool really well, and cleans up in the annealing/pickle stages easy.

I tend to wear nitrile gloves when attempting inlay to control the oils in contact with the gold.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
No, you don't really need to use a lubricant with carbide - but once you try it and feel the difference, well... maybe it's imagination? But for me some kinda lube seems to work better?

But then I use a lubricant on all of my gravers as well...

And so far - they don't make carbide draw plates in square, oval and triangle, which we also use quite often.

B.

Latest posts

Sponsors