Help, please: Shotgun Floorplate Engraving

sh OO ter

I'm having a custom A.H. Fox shotgun built for me. It will feature deep relief scroll and leaf engraving on the receiver and barrel wedges. None of the typical game scenes save the floorplate, an engraved Fox.

I'm looking for a good source of samples of this image. Not too many examples on the internet of actual engravings.

Any help is certainly appreciated.
Thank you,
Bob

Thought this fox from the gun company ad might be cool.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Bob,If you can't find an image of a fox on the internet you should go to your library,the image on the fox catalog of the fox staking the grouse make me laugh every time I see it were's the hunter? maybe nature is calling.:biggrin: J.J.

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
Bob,If you can't find an image of a fox on the internet you should go to your library,the image on the fox catalog of the fox staking the grouse make me laugh every time I see it were's the hunter? maybe nature is calling.:biggrin: J.J.

J.J., who do you think is taking that picture? It's the hunter. ;~)

JJ Roberts

John,It could also be the artist was the hunter and did a sketch while out hunting and went he got back to his studio started to paint the split rail fence,shotgun,grouse and scenery he then added the fox to the painting. J.J.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Below are the only Fox shotguns with a fox on the bottom that I found in my photo archive, that has over 170 pictures of Fox guns.

Attachments

• A.H. Fox XE Grade #227748-B.jpg
    A.H. Fox XE Grade #227748-B.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 151
  • STERLINGWORTH-G.L. Steele eng-B.jpg
    STERLINGWORTH-G.L. Steele eng-B.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 154
  • XE #24483-B.jpg
    XE #24483-B.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 155

JJ Roberts

I have a pose of a fox with a live chicken in it's mouth I'll be engraving on a single shot Winchester High Wall. J.J.

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
I have a pose of a fox with a live chicken in it's mouth I'll be engraving on a single shot Winchester High Wall. J.J.

J.J. you're not really going to engrave the fox with a chicken in it's mouth, are you??? ;~) Ansley would be highly insulted. ;~)

JJ Roberts

John,The engraver's back in the day were not very good artists there anatomy of animals & birds were cartoonist. J.J.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
I am working on a 1890 Winchester the customer wants a fox with a duck in it's mouth. on one side and prairie dogs on the other.

sh OO ter

I'm liking the top picture but would change the fox's focus to something slightly off of the ground.

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

Bob,I would go with the fox chasing the mouse that fit just right on the floor plate,I an old Ithaca Gun cover with a fox guarding a dead rabbit being attacked by three crows,always liked the painting of the artist Lynn Bouge Hunt. J.J.

sh OO ter

Perhaps he could be jumping a small covey of Quail.
A more Nobel pursuit than a rodent.