I am wrong.

C Driver

As many of you already probably know, and I
Did not, there is no procreate for windows.
So with all of the great info., and respecting
Sam the way I do, I guess I will start saving
For an IPad.
Charlie
PS just goes to show how much I know about
Computers, not much.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I have a stylus for my regular iPad (not Pro), but it's not pressure sensitive. In fact it's about useless for anything art wise, but I did have fun playing Draw Something with it.

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
I am not sure if this helps, but if the goal is to start drawing digitally, you don't need an ipad and all the stuff, they are just a fun toy that have become popular. Procreate even though a quality app and has had some outstanding work produced on it, is not a full version drawing program. If digital drawing is the aim, a wacom tablet of some kind, bamboo, intuos are affordable and programs like corel draw and photoshop are great and very versatile programs, there are others, some cheaper, that can work also. For info on digital drawing youtube obviously is a great resource, but there are countless other sites dedicated to digital art that can give you loads more information on the subject. Personally I really like my ipad but don't get the notion that it has become the go to instrument for digital art. I hope that gives you some perspective. Be well

Sam

Staff member
I am not sure if this helps, but if the goal is to start drawing digitally, you don't need an ipad and all the stuff, they are just a fun toy that have become popular. Procreate even though a quality app and has had some outstanding work produced on it, is not a full version drawing program. If digital drawing is the aim, a wacom tablet of some kind, bamboo, intuos are affordable and programs like corel draw and photoshop are great and very versatile programs, there are others, some cheaper, that can work also. For info on digital drawing youtube obviously is a great resource, but there are countless other sites dedicated to digital art that can give you loads more information on the subject. Personally I really like my ipad but don't get the notion that it has become the go to instrument for digital art. I hope that gives you some perspective. Be well

As someone who has drawn thousands of images with Wacom gear, the iPad and Procreate have revolutionized digital drawing for me. I can't speak for anyone else, but it's so quick and responsive and portable that the enjoyment factor is 10x what I have with Photoshop and Illustrator on my Mac. If I have hardcore vector work or photo editing, there are better choices than the iPad.

You are right that's it's not a powerhouse like Photoshop and Illustrator or other computer-based programs, but it makes me want to use and when I feel that way, I'm much more inclined to do so. Kind of like having a certain guitar that makes you want to play it...in the living room, kitchen, workshop, or at the campground. The iPad and Procreate's portability and drawing experience have added an exciting new dimension to my studio.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
You left out the throneroom?

I'm kinda partial to reading in there, not drawing - but some folks actually spend their time in there on their cell phone...

Some places in my house are still sacred. No electronic gadgets of any kind permitted in the throneroom or the bedroom.

One is for thinking, the other is for sleeping. (and exercise of one kind or another)

Brian

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Different strokes for different folks...........but as someone who has logged a few hours on a wacom tablet myself, I just wanted to point out there are alternatives to the ipad/procreate set up for digital drawing, some are much cheaper and/or better. Some folks with less experience can fall into the hype of various tools only to find it an unwise expenditure. I was trying to be helpful........buy what you want, draw on what you want, it concerns me not.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
mmmm.... and draw where you want ;)

Personally, I am gonna hold out a little longer like Brian recommends - and learn to take full advantage of programs I have not even come close to mastering.

Then, when the results achieved with those have repaid their cost plus some, I can "justify" the new expenditures.

I've become a wee bit more wary about investing money in gadgets and programs that I've not made a profit from - yet...

Besides, by the time I feel comfortable with what I've got, I'm sure these tools will have improved another tenfold!

B.

Sam

Staff member
It also depends on what your needs are, and of course there are always tradeoffs in everything. No, the iPad's not Photoshop or Illustrator on a desktop computer. What it is is a very agile and responsive portable drawing system that produces stellar results. I'm not here to promote one system over the other because it matters not to me either. As I said, I only speak for myself, and the results I get speak for themselves. Plus I just like to have FUN and this thing is sheer enjoyment to a nerd like me! :)

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
Well i just got my iPad Pro yesterday , and i must say i am having quite a bit of fun with it. And like Sam said when you are having fun you tend to draw more . I bought the smaller version for the portability factor , and since i have not owned an ipad before i thought it was time for a change.
And because it is so light i think i will carry it with more often and will be trying to draw designs on it more often due to that fact.
I speak for myself, but i for one am a very happy customer.

JackJellies

I am definitely saving for an iPad Pro and the drawing with the Apple Pencil is the motivation. Seeing the very talented folks using it, and both videos and finished drawings just resonates with me like crazy....inspires me.

I certainly understand drawing in many ways, including on good old paper. But I have this gut feeling that I could have a blast with this thing. Thanks for the inspiration!

Sam

Staff member
I am definitely saving for an iPad Pro and the drawing with the Apple Pencil is the motivation. Seeing the very talented folks using it, and both videos and finished drawings just resonates with me like crazy....inspires me.

I certainly understand drawing in many ways, including on good old paper. But I have this gut feeling that I could have a blast with this thing. Thanks for the inspiration!

A blast indeed! I started this drawing on the plane to Vegas yesterday. Drew in the dark most of the time. How cool is that?!

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 94

C Driver

Boy, I wish I were going to Vegas this year ,it would be a great time to get some points from Sam, and Andrew on drawing.
Charlie

Jonathans

Elite Cafe Member
I have both the iPad Pro, and a Surface Pro 3. The Surface Pro is a full fledged computer tablet using a most excellent pressure sensitive pen, and runs a full version of Adobe Illustrator. Quite an excellent combo. The IPad Pro is not nearly as sophisticated or capable, but it's simplicity and user friendly interface makes it the one I pick up the most. If I were more IT inclined, I'd probably use the Surface Pro more.

Sponsors