A "Bit of Celtic" revisited

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
A few weeks ago I posted photos fo a Colt Series 80 I was engraving with a "Bit of Celtic" while the gun was in-the-white. Several folks asked that I post photos of the gun after it was returned from bluing. I just got it back yesterday and reassembled it today. Here are shots of both sides taken this afternoon.

Also - I've have packed and shipped my display guns to Las Vegas for the FEGA Show that starts this Friday. Here is a composition photo of the centerpiece of my display. This one was completed just before the Celtic gun. Love those Pythons !

We hope to see many of you in Las Vegas.

Double Line Borders: several folks asked about the double line borders on the Python Frame. I used 24 Ga Wire for the outside border and 30 Ga for the inside. It was not so bad on the left of the frame, but on the right, where there a 6 breaks for the sideplate, well, pick a day when you have nothing else to do but challenge your skills!:mad:

Last edited:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice as usual Mike! I always like looking at your work. Will you have this one at FEGA?

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
who did the scrim? Also what is that onion dome motif on the Python? I saw it on the FEGA SAA too, is it some sort of colt thing, what is it in reference to?

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Yes I did the scrim on the 1911 grips. Actually I'm not a scrim artist, so I cut the outlines with a graver (push) and then fill with India Ink. That typically takes as much as 6 or 7 passes/coats, fixing the ink with Renaissance wax between layers until I get the desired darkness.

The Onion Dome - there are variations to the story, but basically Colonel Sam Colt worked hard to promote his gun business. Much of his promotion was done through presentations of engraved firearms to dignitaries, politicians, Royalty and world leaders. The conjecture is that he created the distinctively Russian looking dome to honor the Czar of Russia - his engravers also created a very special "Czars Colt" as a gift, and that gun is a staple photo found in most engraving books showing Colt engraving.

The dome is a large sheet metal dome, painted blue with gold stars, with a gold globe and "Rampant Colt" at a pinnacle. It was placed in the center of his Armory for all in Hartford to see and admire - especially those traveling up and down the Connecticut River. The colt dome is also described to be an idea that Samuel Colt got while on a world tour while visiting India. He spotted the Taj Mahal and its dome in India and thought that having a large dome on his factory would enable river travelers to see it. The Connecticut River was the main transportation route for shipping and travel, and the Colt Armory faced the Connecticut at its riverfront. The Armory and the Dome are currently being restored as a National Monument in Hartford.

The Rampant Colt is timeless trademark - the variation on the right panel of the Python shown above is a 70's vintage logo with the Colt on top of the globe.

McAhron

Elite Cafe Member
Love the Python Mike. Shouldn't the 1911 have an apostrophe on the"Colts"

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Yes, it should, and of course there was an apostrophe in the original stamping. In my communications with the Custom Shop and Colt employees, we keep it informal, never really using formal text and such.

If you would like for me to add the apostrophe your gun, please note that on the purchase order................:cool:

Latest posts

Sponsors