hot glue trick

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
in recent years i've been using a hot glue gun more than my old standby 5-minute epoxy (tip o' the hat to Martha Stewart) and have found a pretty slick way to remove the part after engraving. i put a few drops of acetone at the edge of the glue joint, then gently start to pry the part off the block. the acetone almost instantaneously wicks into the glue joint and breaks the bond. even fairly large parts (recently did this on a 3" x 4" silver plate) pop off almost instantly.

it typically leaves no glue at all on the metal and, because the solvent evaporates so quickly, the glue isn't a gummy mess. on repetitive parts, i just re-melt the glue with a heat gun and stick the next one on.

maybe others have tried this? :graver:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I wish I had known that when I engraved a wide flat bracelet before xmas. I had a gluey mess on my hands.

THEN I remembered what a student told me, and that is to put masking tape on the surface of the article before you hot glue it down. I did try this once in a class and it worked well, with very little cleanup.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use denatured alcohol with hot glue the same way. Once it gets in under the part it seems to wick through the area quickly and the part pops off with no residue. I've never tried the acetone, but in general if I can avoid the acetone for the alcohol I do. One more thing I do is plan for the exit strategy. Usually I take a toothpick or something else and make a dent in the glue at one or more edges before I put the part down - a small trough that goes towards the middle of the area. Sometimes I have to poke in from the side under the piece before the glue finally hardens. This tends to allow a little more efficient wicking.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i use isopropyl alkyhaul. way less toxic and works just as well. it would be nice to have a "glue gun" that worked with thermoloc sticks.

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
One more thing I do is plan for the exit strategy. Usually I take a toothpick or something else and make a dent in the glue at one or more edges before I put the part down - a small trough that goes towards the middle of the area.

Thanks Tira, never thought about doin' that.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Is denatured alcohol, good for degreasing?

GunEngraver.com Custom Guns Knives and More PAYMENT PLANS Available

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i have hit and miss results denatured alchohol.. last piece woud not budge.. piece before, like a dream.. i'll try the trough.. and ill try acetone..

Flashmo

Is denatured alcohol, good for degreasing?

GunEngraver.com Custom Guns Knives and More PAYMENT PLANS Available

Yes, very much so. I try to not use acetone wherever possible as it absorbs quickly through your skin and takes whatever you are cleaning with it. I work with a lot of epoxies and alcohol cut that and greases or oil great.

Latest posts

Sponsors