FEGA 2017 Auction Colt write up and pictures

mvangle

Elite Cafe Member
The FEGA 2017 Banquet Auction Gun

After careful consideration of the options, the FEGA BOD decided to do a Colt Single Action Army Revolver for our 2017 Auction Gun.
Three FEGA Master Engravers who are also Colt Master Engravers stepped up to donate their time and expertise in the making of this fantastic show gun.

The Engravers are Mike Dubber, Barry Lee Hands, and Weldon Lister.
Mike Dubber located a mechanically perfect 3rd Generation Colt for the Guild to purchase.

Since Mike had done two jobs as project manager/engraver of the 2016 show gun, Barry asked me to be the project manager for 2017 and I accepted. Let’s say the logistics are complicated.

The Colt came to me from Mike for disassembling and polishing and I stripped, restored and prepped the parts for engraving.
The frame was sent back to Mike Dubber for his world renowned goldwork, including gold borders, the Sam Colt Signature on the backstrap and the Colt Dome on the loading gate.

The barrel went to Barry Lee Hands for gold work which included gold lettering, borders and the layout of his exquisite 3 segment leaf design in 24k gold.

Parts were sent to Weldon Lister for his signature colt style- scroll work. Barry had already laid out where his leaves would go, and Weldon did an excellent job of putting his trade mark scroll under and around the leaf locations, as if he had designed it from start to finish all by himself.

After Weldon was finished the parts went back to Barry who applied his stunning gold work in the spaces left for him by Weldon.

Then the Colt was sent to Doug Turnbull for case colors and blue, who kindly and generously donated his labor for this project.

When finished with his work, Doug sent the parts back to me for assembly.
This is a exquisite show gun that anyone would be proud to own! The Colt really shows the talent of FEGA engravers, and at the end of the project Weldon’s special expertise at the Master level in the scroll design stage having followed Mike and Barry’s gold layout really shows through as the piece appears to be fully integrated start to finish.

Please acknowledge your thanks to these Engravers in an email or the next time you see them for their devotion to the Guild.

This magnificent piece will be auctioned at the FEGA banquet Saturday night January 21st at the FEGA Gun Engravers Show annual banquet and auction which begins at 6 pm. Tickets are available from Betty for $68 in advance or at the FEGA table, or call (406) 249-4334.

See you in Las Vegas!
Robert Strosin

mvangle

Elite Cafe Member
The pictures

The pictures

Attachments

• Front Cover 113 small insert.jpg
    Front Cover 113 small insert.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 404
  • Strosin-004.jpg
    Strosin-004.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 408
  • Strosin-002.jpg
    Strosin-002.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 405
  • Strosin-003.jpg
    Strosin-003.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 414
  • Strosin-001.jpg
    Strosin-001.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 410

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Now that's a stunner. Makes me want to dig my old SAA out of the safe and start drawing. And that's what good work does to another engraver. Make's you excited about what we do.
Layne

mvangle

Elite Cafe Member
Going price was $31,000.
Rex Pedersen received the Meeks Award
Go show lots of good fellowship.
Acres of things to see.
5 New Master Engravers!

Hope you can make it next year!

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thank you for the show and auction news Van.
A big thank you to Bob Strosin, Mike Dubber and all of our engravers who worked on the auction Colt. One to be very proud of.
And a big hug and congratulations to Mr. Rex on his well deserved Meek's award.
He has always been in the trenches for anything or anybody to do with FEGA and/or engraving.
Congrats to our five New Masters. Sorry to have missed seeing your presentation.

Last edited:

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Going price was $31,000.
Rex Pedersen received the Meeks Award
Go show lots of good fellowship.
Acres of things to see.
5 New Master Engravers!

Hope you can make it next year!

Who made it to master this year?

How many people got good photos of the show today?
It was fantastic to meet so many old friends for the first time and make new ones. The calibre of work at this show is phenomenal. Seeing pieces in real life is such a different thing than photos... and to talk to the artists who gave them life is a true privilege.

mvangle

Elite Cafe Member
Dani,
It was great meeting you and hope you can attend again next year.
You could enter the FEGA emerging artist award program with a chance to win a free show table and hotel expenses. Worth considering.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Dani,

It was a great pleasure to meet and speak with you after watching your progress over the past four years. I look forward to seeing you again. Van's suggestion that you apply for the Emerging Artist Award is an excellent suggestion. The instructions for such an application can be found at fega.com. If you have any questions about the program, you can reach Dr. John Gunn, FEGA Vice President Red, through the fega.com site.

I would like to see you, and many other engravers who have been posting their work on the Engravers Café, plan to reserve a table for the 2018 show so that you will be eligible to enter your work in the FEGA awards. The rules for awards entries are posted at fega.com. If, after reading those rules and descriptions, you have further questions about the award categories and competition rules of the FEGA Awards Program, you can contact me through fega.com or by means of a personal message here at the Engravers Café.

Five FEGA members applied for FEGA Master Engraver certification this year. Their work was so exquisite that all five were awarded Master status. As the FEGA Master Engraver program is the province of Andrew Biggs, and he has done such an excellent job of administering the program. I will leave it to Andrew to post their names and photos of their work when he has had an opportunity to prepare captions for the photos. Watch the fega.com site for the announcements.

The new FEGA Masters may post photos of their work here on the Café, and we encourage them to do so.

Mike Fennell, FEGA V.P. Blue

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Dani: It was such a pleasure to meet you and see your fabulous engraving in person. I would say that photos of your work are excellent, but seeing it in-hand shows the precision of your cutting as well as your superb design skills. Your work is absolutely top tier. I hope you enjoy your time in the USA!

Yes, we hope you'll make a yearly appearance at the FEGA show. I know it's a long and expensive trip, but we welcome you if you can make it happen.

~Sam

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
John, the show was great. Only your presence could have made it better -- we missed you. I hope we can see you again next year.

Thank you for sponsoring the FEGA memorial table. It was a very touching and elegant display, and a fine way to honor departed friends.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
John, the show was great. Only your presence could have made it better -- we missed you. I hope we can see you again next year.

Thank you for sponsoring the FEGA memorial table. It was a very touching and elegant display, and a fine way to honor departed friends.

Thank you Mike and thank you for all the work you do on behalf of the Guild.
My thanks to Betty Strosin for help with the table set-up and to Andrew Biggs for the graphics and photographs.

Last edited:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
John,
Thanks for the kudos! 25 years ago I wished I could "be like John"! I'm far from it but I hope I can follow your footsteps. They did some research and I am told I have taught over 430 students. I'll never catch up to you but hope to add to the list! You have been a true inspiration for me and hundreds of others.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
John,
Thanks for the kudos! 25 years ago I wished I could "be like John"! I'm far from it but I hope I can follow your footsteps. They did some research and I am told I have taught over 430 students. I'll never catch up to you but hope to add to the list! You have been a true inspiration for me and hundreds of others.

Mr. Rex, you've done it all. And please keep on doing more of the same for we students of engraving.
You have done a stellar job of teaching and carried the Guild to new heights with all your work.
I am thrilled to see you received your well deserved Meek's award, the highest honor the Guild can bestow.

Latest posts

Sponsors