Design for pendant engraving

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Omar: I have the large 12.9" model and I have drawn a bit with the smaller ones that belonged to students. I haven't done enough drawing with the smaller iPad to say which one I think works better, but Andrew's getting excellent results on the small one. My 64 year old eyes do like the large display though, and I never use the camera on the iPad so whether it's good or bad doesn't mean much to me.

A video is a good idea I agree. In the mean time if you guys want my custom brushes send me and email and I'll send them over to you.

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Sam
i did like the 12.9" size as well
and i don't do much photos or facetime either.
you mentioned working on wacom tablets and cintiq. How do they differ from the ipad, i am working on the wacom with photoshop but it needs getting used to and is not as fluid and easy as the ipad.
any insight on that since you have more experience than me on working in photoshop and illustrater.
And maybe others would like to hear about that as well.
thanks again Sam

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thank you Sam
i did like the 12.9" size as well
and i don't do much photos or facetime either.
you mentioned working on wacom tablets and cintiq. How do they differ from the ipad, i am working on the wacom with photoshop but it needs getting used to and is not as fluid and easy as the ipad.
any insight on that since you have more experience than me on working in photoshop and illustrater.
And maybe others would like to hear about that as well.
thanks again Sam

I've done many hundreds of illustrations using a Cintiq, and it's an excellent system, especially for vector (Coreldraw or Illustrator). Right now I have the Cintiq 13 which is good, but the pinch zoom and panning is nothing like the iPad. The iPad is extremely responsive and quick as lightening. The Cintiq is sluggish and slow in comparison. If I was the Wacom company, I would be shaking in my boots right now and scrambling to catch up with the iPad and Procreate. My old 21" Cintiq could be rotated on its base like you'd rotate your sketchpad. So imagine rotating this heavy monster of a display, but that's how I did it. The iPad sits still and Procreate rotates your canvas with your fingertips.

Procreate is not vector, so if vector is your preference, then you will have to use Adobe Illustrator Draw for iPad which work but is seriously lacking features unless I haven't discovered them yet (I'm new with it).

The other vector option is AstroPad app which I mentioned before, which mirrors Illustrator or Photoshop from your Mac to your iPad. You can then use the iPad for drawing, painting, photo editing, etc. I only have a few minutes work with it but it's definitely got potential to beat the Cintiq. Astropad just did an update that boasts twice the speed but I haven't tried it yet. You have to be within bluetooth range to use it, or basically sitting in front of your Mac (which is good if you use keyboard shortcuts like I do).

I have a Cintiq 13" for sale :)

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for the great info on the subject, it will really help in my decision . i did like the ease of the rotating and zooming in and out of the design, it really helps in the fine details and then zoom out and it looks great
and it seems like working in procreate is easier for me than Photoshop, their are so many controls that it s mind boggling, but the procreate gets down to business pretty quick.

Thanks again for a great review Sam

Andrew Biggs

Omar....If you are considering the iPad then get the size that you like. There's no "proper" size to get.

I brought the normal 9.7" iPad Pro because it felt better for me, not because of the specs. The larger one felt cumbersome but obviously Sam likes that one..........so it's purely a personal preference thing. :)

As an aside..........

From the app store you can get the free app called Photoscan by Google.............this is a great way to scan a picture from a book, save to photos on the iPad and bring into Procreate. Easy peasy. And it works better than taking a normal photo.

Cheers
Andrew

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Andrew that really helps, i did like drawing on the larger one , i guess it felt like the sketch book i have.
thanks for the input Andrew i really appreciate it very much.

I will try both again and draw on them and make a decision

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
About cutting Sam's design and to be perfectly clear.
I realize that Sam's design is copyright and will only redraw parts of it by hand.
Will cut these parts for private practice on a practice plate.
Not for publication or commercial use.

Andrew Biggs

Awwww…C’mon, John

Cut 200,000 of them, sell them on the black market, make a squllion dollars, take all the credit and get your photo on the cover of Time magazine…………and then run for President!!!!

Go on........You know you want to :) :) :)

Cheers
Andrew