A Jewelers Guide to Liver of Sulphur Patinas and Finishes

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
:thumbsup: Thanks MD, I have some liver of sulphur I bought last year, haven't use it yet, this is very useful information for an amateur like me,

Richard.

Last edited:

Rstripnieks

I have used Liver Of Sulphur a lot .but only to achieve black patina.It smells terrible so i changed it to Birchwood Caseys "Brass Black" it really does the job faster and i can achieve same black patina.
But i will give a try tomorrow to give my cuts blue colour on Sterling Silver with Liver of Sulphur.
Thanks for Info!

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
AS noted, Birchwood Caseys "Brass Black" works very well on brass, copper and German silver, and so does Birchwood Caseys Gun Blue. The do not work well at all on Sterling silver.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
You gotta pay for these, but they've been worth it to me... Patina: 300+ Coloration Effects for Jewelers & Metalsmiths by Matthew Runfola and/or The Colouring, Bronzing and Patination of Metals by Richard Hughes

Liver of sulfur usually goes bad on me before I can use it these days. I recommend you buy small quantities - as fresh as possible.

If the cans have been sitting on a shelf for months (years?) before you get hold of 'em they often aren't of much use.

In Taxco we used up a half a kilo a month when things were going well. Those days are apparently gone forever...

Brian

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Which one are you using? Rio's or the old chunks? I can't speak to the new stuff, but yeah the chunks are diluted quite a bit with distilled water.

By now, it's been so long (and I delegated that job anyway) that I don't recall what the proportions were.

I do remember that we had the best results when both the metal and the solution were warm. NOT hot!

It's late, and I have an early morning start, but I'll see if it's my old notes somewhere when I return?

Brian

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Videos

9:52
Part 1: Liver of Sulfur Patinas on Silver, Brass, Bronze and Copper with Cool Tools Patina Gel
YouTube - May 19, 2009

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Videos

Part 1: Liver of Sulfur Patinas on Silver, Brass, Bronze and Copper with Cool Tools Patina Gel
YouTube - May 19, 2009

4:57
Cooksongold Patina Dry Form Liver Of Sulphur Review By John Ross
YouTube - Mar 31, 2015

11:24
How to force Patina a Mechanical Mod with Liver Of Sulfur
YouTube - Aug 24, 2014

Part 1 Liver of Sulfur Patinas on Silver, Brass, Bronze and Copper with Cool Tools Patina Gel
YouTube - Jul 21, 2013

8:24
Part 2: Liver of Sulfur Patinas with Patina Gel continued
YouTube - May 19, 2009

9:21
How to Patina with Liver of Sulphur
YouTube - Oct 7, 2016

6:47
copper patina using liver of sulfur solution
YouTube - Mar 13, 2010

3:37
Liver of Sulphur eXtended Life Gel: XL GEL
YouTube - Apr 22, 2009

6:27
How to Patina Metal with Liver of Sulphur
YouTube - May 3, 2013

12:06
How to work with Liver of Sulfur

Rstripnieks

I get my Liver of Sulphur from Ebay (England ) in tiny bottles clamed as "strongest solution on market"
works good for me.i use mostly concentrate and apply tinny layer on surface i want to blacken and it turns black almost instantly.
But the smell is terirble. If i want to play with colours i can just mix it with water and dip my coin,pend ant into it and wait till it gets desired colour
i still prefer "Brass Black" more.