Airline carry on question

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
Does anyone have experience with putting an engraved floorplate in carry on baggage?

Dan

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dan I would not chance carrying any sort of firearm part in carry on. When I fly it all goes in checked luggage. When I taught in Kansas I had the same issues and even with my engraving tools. I put everything in checked luggage even if it was in a carry on case. I even got stopped once for a C-clamp. They said it could be used as a weapon like a brass knuckle. So why take the chance

Jerry K

Elite Cafe Member
Fancygun has it right. I was told by TSA agents that 'ALL' firearm parts are suspect and that at best you may suffer a delay in your travels. Just check all firearm parts, tools, etc. It's not worth the hassle.
Jerry K.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I've carried engraved floorplates on board without issues and I would do it again. I doubt most TSA workers even know what it is. Most are decent hard working people just trying to protect us, but they're not always the sharpest tools in the shed.

One thing I used to do that has saved me a few times with pocket knives I forgot about, is to carry a self addressed padded envelope with postage on it. If you forget your knife or they won't let you through with your floorplate, drop it in the mail to keep it from getting confiscated. Cheap insurance.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Yeah, I have sent 3 pocket knives home that way. I've carried one all my life, feel nekkid without one...

I think I wrote about the time we got back late from a dinner at the Tucson show and I tossed a CO2 tank with the Lindsay Palm still attached on top of some clothes in my wife's suitcase. In the morning we were in a hurry to get to the airport and she tossed the rest of her clothes on top of the whole setup. I completely forgot.

If I were TSA and I saw that setup, not knowing what it was - a gadget of some kind (detonator?) attached to tubing that led to a tank (explosive?) - I'd have probably called the bomb squad!

They obviously found it, and left it right where it was. The agent left a business card right next to it.

Maybe nobody read the warning on the tank? DO NOT CARRY ON AIRLINES! Man, was I lucky!

Brian

Ummm... the tank was empty, but....

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks everyone. I guess like most things, it boils down to circumstances. In this case I am taking the floorplate to the FEGA show for feedback and advise. Missing the opportunity would be terrible. Like Marty said, why take the chance....

Dan