First real world iPad Pro drawing and transfer

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
screenshot_16.jpg

transfer_to_pendant.jpg

The iPad Pro is a game changer for sure. This is my first real world drawing and transfer for engraving. My workflow was as follows:

1.) Scanned pendant and saved image to iCloud.
2.) Opened scanned image in Procreate and lowered the layer opacity to make it just visible enough to draw over.
3.) Created a new layer and drew the engraving design.
4.) Turned off the layer of the scanned pendant so only the engraving design would show.
5.) Turned off the default white background layer.
6.) Exported (shared) as a .PNG (turning off default white background layer and saving as a PNG will make an image with transparent background).
7.) Imported the scanned pendant from step 1 into Adobe Illustrator and scaled to actual size (49mm - first photo).
8.) Imported (placed) the engraving design PNG file and scaled to fit the pendant perfectly.
9.) Printed onto transparency sheet and transferred to pendant.

In Procreate I worked in the screen resolution size of 2048x2732. This provided plenty of resolution and the scaled down PNG image is very sharp and crisp. Also, PNG are uncompressed so they'll be better by default.

This would have been a very big task using Illustrator or Photoshop and a Cintiq or other Wacom tablet. Procreate is so fast and responsive that it makes the drawing go very quickly. I drew this last night in my easy chair while Abigail watched TV. Unlike drawing on a sketch pad, with the iPad you don't need a brightly lit room to draw.

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
That is a great looking transfer, very sharp and clear. Thanks for listing the steps you used to create the transfer, incredibly useful to know.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam - thanks for the process. It looks great! What transparency sheet did you use for the transfer?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sam - thanks for the process. It looks great! What transparency sheet did you use for the transfer?

Pictorico Premium OHP Transparency Film from Amazon. The process worked really well :)

Andrew Biggs

Hi Sam

Good deal. The system from start to finish works well at every level. From import, pencil outlines, pen dark lines to export, etc etc.

It certainly is an amazing piece of kit!!!

Cheers
Andrew

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Like the illustrator method for actual size

GunEngraver.com Custom Guns Knives and More PAYMENT PLANS Available

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
Well guys, I am new Happy owner of a iPad Pro 9.7
Decided to go with the 9.7" because of the portability
Hope to get some good use of it, and learn some new talents.
Wish me luck guys...

And Sam, it would be great to get some of those custom brushes you mentioned earlier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jkasal

Thank you for this step-by-step. So very helpful as I have just purchased both the iPad Pro and the procreate app. I've been struggling trying to find out how to scale my image to the actual size I want to print. Thank you again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for this step-by-step. So very helpful as I have just purchased both the iPad Pro and the procreate app. I've been struggling trying to find out how to scale my image to the actual size I want to print. Thank you again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Jkasal, I use Autodesk GRAPHIC for IPP some may know it as IDraw, now is called GRAPHIC, plenty of tutorials on YouTube using an IPad, it works great for me, , you can create your own shapes or import others to a gallery, scale your work, it is like A Illustrator but I find it easier to use, best thing is you can share your drawing straight to Procreate and continue with the artwork there. hope this helps,

Richard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgfxfTpX5No

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yfw...b1CNAcVC7zEpaL

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Sam, I hope GRS sees this.
It might be a great for them to add class where you teach the Ipad pro as separate class of your scroll design teaching.
With the number of people interested in the Ipad it should be a winner.

Last edited: