Transfer Using IPad Pro and Procreate

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I said this some time ago, whether some people like it or not computers the cloud and batteries is the future, a pencil needs sharpening, papers get lost or misplaced, ink gets smeared, its the future, and we're are all witness to it.

This is true Carlos, but the Nimschke book is here with us today because it was made on paper and not lost in a hard drive crash or an expired Photobucket or Flickr account. Where will our photos be 50 or a hundred years from now after our cloud accounts expire and the content vanishes? This is something to think about if we want preserve our work for posterity. As you know I love technology and newfangled drawing gadgets and cameras. My printed photos and sketchbooks will hopefully survive, but maybe not my digital art and photos.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I have stored all of Benno Huene's drawings and negatives/photos from 20 to 40 years ago - which I have been meaning to forward to Tira who was once a student of his... (they WILL eventually get to her!)

And maybe someday, if FEGA should set up some kind of museum or archives - they will eventually wind up there?

Brian

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Tira,

I will take care of it. It's just "one of those things". You know, the "round tuit" things?

I have some new help coming and I intend to spend the next 3 months doing all the stuff I shoulda done years ago... (like shipping you)

Also need to liquidate about half the tools around here. Stuff I really never needed, redundant stuff, and stuff that I no longer have the time to go round and pet on a regular basis anymore.

Brian

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

True so true, ive been saving smoke pulls of finish items, for my own records as time goes by you can see how you progress, those are kept both hard copy and digital, I'm referring to designing. But of course a pen and pencil can still accomplish this, but sometimes as for design it takes longer.

GunEngraver.com Custom Guns Knives and More PAYMENT PLANS Available

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
I have never experienced drawing on a tablet, always been using pencil and paper. How much drawing time can you save by using this gadget?
It's not a cheap toy lol Thanks. Denny

Andrew Biggs

How much drawing time can you save by using this gadget?

The answer to that is very subjective. :)

For me personally it's very intuitive and like having all my pencils, pens erasers, paper, pictures and computer all bundled into one tool. But then again I'm also used to using computers on a day to day basis so had no trouble getting my head around digital pencil and paper. This is simply like nothing else I have ever used as far as computer drawing goes. Nothing else I have ever used compares and Sam is having the same experience.

Time wise it probably saves me a bit of time but that is almost impossible to measure as there is the usual learning curve and I'm still learning how to use it.........but then again I'm still learning to use pencil and paper and always will.

It certainly is convenient, that's for sure and there are some great features for more advanced sketching and inking that are most useful.

However I can see that others will struggle to use it for whatever reasons, especially the computer challenged. It's not for everyone and as you say, it's not a cheap item.

Will it make you draw better.??........for me the answer is probably yes. But if you can't draw very well with pencil and paper then you won't draw any better with this setup. It's not a magic bullet to anything. :)

I would still advise anyone starting out or struggling to draw to use pencils and paper. Then once they have gained proficiency in design and skill to make a choice. There's no right or wrong with the tools you use. There is only different :)

Cheers
Andrew

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
Very well put Andrew, i think you are absolutely right that we need to practice on what ever medium we draw on. It looks like the corrections are faster to do using digital drawing and changing opacity to help in the design process, so maybe it is faster in that regard.

ken dixon

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, I have a few questions. Do people use the 9" or the 12" ? Does procreate have any type of text capability or can you import it, like illustrator? Will the iPad Air 2 work or is it underpowered?
Thanks Ken

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Andrew - Great example! I understand you did this in Procreate - can you talk a little about how you did the borders and the initial oval outline for the lion? I understand how to draw straight lines by "drawing and holding" (if that's the method you used?) but the oval stumps me. Right now the only way I can figure it is to import it to a layer and size, or maybe start in AI Draw? Thanks, and again great example! Bob