Can you help identify the engraver of this Colt SAA?

meplatgroup

Hello,

My name is Kenny Bossetta and I am a FFL in Metairie, La. I have a client who has this firearm in his collection and we are trying to determine who the engraver may be.

Here's what we do know from Ms. Haynes at Colt:

-It is NOT factory engraved
-It is a factory nickel plated COLT SAA chambered in .44-40 with a 7.5" barrel
-It was shipped on 02/07/1891 as part of a shipment of 30 guns to Hartley and Graham.

Other than that I can only show experts like you all the style of engraving and the initials BJ as leads to determine who may have done this work. Please feel free to comment on the style, quality, when the work may have been done, and the methods used even if you don't know the identity of the engraver---any info is helpful.

I know nothing about engraving and missed several guesses on the ten letter word for "Ornamental design engraved on a gun" in the registration section (I still don't know what word they were looking for). Luckily it reset to what is the tool an engraver uses to hold his work which even I could figure out was a vise.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Kenny

BOTTOM GRIP.jpg SIDE1.jpg BOTTOM BARREL.jpg BOTTOM BARREL 2.jpg SIDE 2.jpg LOADING PORT.jpg BOTTOM.jpg

meplatgroup

Bill Johns

Thanks, Weldon. I called and spoke to Mr. Wells who is now 85 and retired. He said he is sure it is one of his guns because that's where he always stamped his work and that it is probably an earlier gun because on his later work he started putting ribbons around his initials.

Unfortunately, he said he trashed all of his records when he retired so he couldn't give me any history on the gun.

Thanks for the help.

Sponsors