A philosopy of life...

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
SamW - Name on bottom Right "FOX" on left side same position I think it also has "FOX" ?????

Was the wood engraving done with hand chisels/gouges or with power chisels/gouges like GRS chisels/gouges for handpiece or ?

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Jerry, the metal has been very nice to cut and polishes very well. No complaints at all.

Roger, the left side has GRAY drawn out...just not cut yet. The wood carving was done with exacto knife blades and small wood chisels along with fine riffler files and sand paper. The background was smoothed with a flat punch (used lightly). No power tools on the wood except the punching of the background.

PS...It might be noted that I removed the retaining plate on the left side that held the two cross pins in place that the hammer and rolling block rotated on by screwing in a tight fitting screw and riveting it in place from the back side. I then converted the two pins to Ruger No. 1 style retaining, that is, with a cap screw. This allowed me to sculpt the gray squirrel and scene.

Last edited:

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam I hope you put some Renaissance wax on it in case Fred drools on it! I know if I had an opportunity I would drool on it. Are you going to make any castings of this!

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam what is the best way to remove Renaissance wax (soap and water?), and will Renaissance wax interfere/soften or weaken the patina/liver of sulphur in particular underneath it?

SamW

I have never removed Renaissance wax, only added more. However I should think that acetone or mek would work...in a well ventilated area and rubber gloves, etc. I usually stay away from soap and water at least for bare steel items.

Sandy, you going to wear your golden locks??

SamW

Here is a much better photo of the wood carving.

The wood is rather porous due to the soil and moisture conditions of the area it came from but home is home. Tru Oil is filling the pores just fine.

Attachments

• wood carving.jpg
    wood carving.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 96

SamW

I regret to say it is not finished but is progressing. Still have the barrel, rolling block and hammer and butt plate to engrave. As I said at first...I am slow but the earth is patient.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
The earth is patient and paying customers take precedent. I know how that works. You're working on my favorite size rolling block and my favorite cartridge.Look forward to seeing the finished product.
Thanks

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
All I can say is wow very nice. Like I said before the nicest rolling block on the planet.
Thanks for posting,Leland

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, is this a personal gun or will it be on the market when completed?

SamW

This is a personal piece which for me constitutes a "practice plate". Trying new ideas and such as well as just trying to advance my skill in technique and quality. One must keep a hand in or get rusty and thus careless! Onward and Upward!

Latest posts

Sponsors