A philosopy of life...

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Sam,
Nice. A question on the border from a novice. I assume the details, in particular the "donuts" are done by cutting away the background. Is that correct? Can you describe how you do it in steps? Apologies for pesky questions but those well executed elements immediately jumped out at me since I've been practicing various sizes of such border elements.
Thanks
Jeremy

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, outstanding work the squirrel looks like he could slip around the branch and disappear at any moment. How long did it take you to do this?
Leland

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
As a semi-professional squirrel watcher, I'd say you really nailed the little critter Sam. Excellent job on the tail especially. Will you bring this to Vegas for show and tell?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
bloody awesome, Sam!! Your engraving is always such a feast for the eyes. That squirrel looks like it could leap right off the gun! :clapping: :bow: :beerchug:

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Then there is the old saw...What Was That?

Jeremy, the border was drawn on the metal and the outline cut. Then the background areas were removed a few thousands of an inch and flattened. The elements then sculpted with scrapers and burnishers before adding shading lines. This was one of those occasions when once you get started you wish you had not. A lot more effort than I had planned on but I do like the look.

Leland, I have about 320 hours thus far on the project with a lot more to go yet...Not including the stock work from wood I cut from the stump.

Fred, you will be able to look at it as close as you like...just promise not to drool on it!

Thanks for all the comments. This one has been a real keeper.

PS...Jeremy, the donuts you speak of I assume are the starts of flowers better seen in the second photo. They have red, yellow and green gold centers to go with the colored leaves.

Attachments

• Sq 1 Jan 17.jpg
    Sq 1 Jan 17.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

JJ Roberts

SamW,I like pose of the gold inlayed squirrel on the right side,beautiful anatomy on both squirrels.:thumbsup: J.J.

Jerry K

Elite Cafe Member
Spectacular work Sam W.! The bark of the tree is perfect. What is the canvas, a single shot rifle I assume?
Jerry

SamW

Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
That was my intent Leland. The walnut stump came from my dad's property in AR, property which I now own. Here is a not so good photo showing how the scroll flows onto the wood.

Attachments

• squirrel 2.jpg
    squirrel 2.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 170

Jerry K

Elite Cafe Member
Thanx Sam, I have several in my collection that might be candidates in a few years. How hard is the steel?
Please show us the completed work.
Jerry

Latest posts

Sponsors