16th Century Boxwood Carvings

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
Many were myopic and didn't and didn't need lenses to see small details.

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
Very good.
Thanks for posting that.
Boxwood seems to have been the material of choice for detailed work. Those interested in "early " detailed work might also be interested in the wood cut engraving of Thomas Bewick which was ground breaking in the realistic portrayal of animals, particularly birds.
Jeremy

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
InI believe the work on boxwood was often engraved on the end grain of the wood for better detail not the plank of the wood where the grain would make when cutting against the grain problematic! The advantage of boxwood was the tight end grain allowed greater detail. I believe boxwood now is either very expensive, scare or exhausted!

Last edited:

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
InI believe the work on boxwood was often engraved on the end grain of the wood for better detail not the plank of the wood where the grain would make when cutting against the grain problematic! The advantage of boxwood was the tight end grain allowed greater detail. I believe boxwood now is either very expensive, scare or exhausted!

used as an ornamental .. just keep an eye on yards when they start ripping stuff up, get in line, ive got a nice pile..

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
Engraving on the end grain was certainly what Bewick did.
His original cuts are still crisp enough that new "original" prints are made using the original boxwood masters. I purchased a couple when I visited the Cherryburn museum near Newcastle where he grew up. Not bad for 200 year old pieces.
Jeremy