Critique Request 3/4" Sterling Cart Buckles

Brian S.

I outlined the border with a 105 and cut the scrolls and shading with a 120 with a 45 degree face and a very short 15 degree heel. Engraving the silver has been difficult for me because it is so soft. Any critique or advise would be appreciated. TIA

Attachments

• Cart Buckles.jpg
    Cart Buckles.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 190

didyoung

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian
Clean up the corners on the inside of the buckles.
Looks like one of the crossbars is crooked.
Your background looks real clean.
The backbones look nice.
Some of your leaf structures are good others look like you are unsure about what you wanted.
All of us have made the same mistakes.
We are excited to work but didn't take the time to really draw a flawless design.
When we don't draw and work the design it is easy to make mistakes.
Sometimes we might be able to draw a leaf pattern, but you don't understand how to shade it.
I know that it's best to have a correctly drawn example in front of me when I am creating or engraving a pattern.

Your point of reference or your subject is a much needed part of the process...Don't try to draw from memory.
There are great examples of really good leaf structure and how a person might shade them....Have these examples of reference around when you are working.
You don't have to copy another person's work but you can take their ideas and apply them towards your own work....(just make sure that the work that you choose to study is correctly drawn.

The more a person draws the easier it becomes and somewhere you can start to create your own leaf structure and understand how you can shade them and give them movement and life.

Study and practice...:tiphat:

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
One thing that I would suggest would be that you think ahead about the amount of space you are going to have to background.

If you "amplify" or fill more of the space with foliage - and BALANCE the background - you can cut quite a bit of work out of the equation.

It'll come with time - and that proverbial 5 gallon bucket of practice plates... keep going.

Brian

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors