Watch Engraving Design Using Procreate App (Video)

Andrew Biggs

Hi John

To this day I'm not sure if one is better than the other. They are just different and have pros and cons on both sides of the fence. There is something very tactile about holding pencils and drawing on paper. It involves texture, smell and a connection to the canvas you are working on. Sharpening pencils, cleaning erasers, different textured paper, going to the shop to buy new art supplies etc etc etc............ Digital is a bit more sterile in that sense. A bit like the difference between a paper and ink book versus a kindle. They both do the same thing and the end result is the same.......... but how you get there is a bit different. :)

And of course the output has changed with web graphics, electronic files and social media. So there is a lot published in the internet ether.

Quicker?.........probably, depending on the skill of the operator. But of course that is always a subjective area and hard to quantify.

Yes, there is quite a learning curve if you are unused to computer graphics work. But like anything, once you get your head around it, it's simple enough and can be learned.

One thing I do know and it's a fundamental law that hasn't changed since since Adam was a cowboy............................crap in, crap out.........regardless of the medium being used. :) :)

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

Jkasal

It's the Apple pencil that goes with the iPad Pro

Doc.......First layer is imported outlines of canvas that I did a smoke pull, scanned and outlined in Illustrator. Second layer is the pencil brush to get everything in place and develop ideas. Third layer is the pen brush which acts like a Rotring black technical pen. Third layer is the pen brush for shading etc etc etc.

You have full control over brushes as to their size, shape, opacity and tapering abilities.

Yes, I have used the Wacom tablet for years now and it's hard to get decent curves when drawing. There is a disconnect between drawing on a tablet and it appearing on a screen the is 3ft away...........with the iPad pro it is all happing on the iPad as you draw so there is no disconnect between the two. Basically it is pen and paper but its digital.

Cheers
Andrew

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
No so, John! I'll buy you lunch any day! :)

Thank you Sam. And likewise about lunch.
You, Andy and Andrew have sure created a lot of thought provoking stuff with your digital design techniques and videos.
You have helped a lot of people to re-think the possibilities of refining their designs.
And again, you and GRS should consider classes, Basic and Advanced in "Computer Aided Design for Engravers."
Such a class would be useful not only for engravers but in many fields of design such as jewelry and knife design to name a couple.

Latest posts

Sponsors