Help, please: Please Help! Graver Mach G8

Domitilla

I've been having a problem with the Graver Max for about 3-4 weeks or so. It had been working perfectly fine for about 4 1/2 years, only recently, whenever we attempt to tune the Graver Max G 8, as soon as the air pressure is increase, (so that the sound from buzzing goes to knocking and the hand piece vibrates), the knocking and vibrating just goes on, no matter how slowly the air pressure is increased, the knocking does not stop or get softer, instade its much louder than it used to be.

It's a Graver Max G8, along with the Airtact.

Please guide me on how to resolve this problem, as I'm not able to do any engraving, which is totally frustrating. I guess someone else around here has had the same problem before.

Last edited:

Peter spode

It sounds like the anvil in the handpiece may be broken. Take the handpiece apart and check to see if the broken bit falls out. It usually shatters at the point where the retaining pin goes through it. If this is the problem, a new anvil is a cheap replacement and quite easy to replace. I have broken and replaced several over the last few years. Maybe I work the handpieces too hard !
Pete

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Check the foot pedal. Turn it over and see the location of the Allen screw. The top edge of the Allen screw should be 8-10mm from the edge of the brass bushing. Just loosen the screw and adjust it to that distance. If that does not do it, check for holes in the air hoses. Usually the foot pedal hose.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Make sure the handpiece selector switch is switched all the way. If not, you will not be able to tune the handpiece.

Domitilla

Thanks for the response.

I don't think any thing is broken the hand piece, opened it before no broken bits.

Well I do wish it was a simple problem of the of the hand piece locator not being switched all the way, but is not !

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Did you check the foot pedal and air hoses? I am guessing that the pedal is the culprit.

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
Domitilla: Does your unit have a bias control, if so make sure it is closed before before trying to tune the handpiece. It bleeds air off the system to be able to fine tune the handpiece, for start up. Have you taken the cover off the unit to see if you have any hoses cracked, leaking air. Also check to see if any hoses have come off the fitting, or are loose. Also check the air filter on the unit and drain the water out of it. Water or oil will wreck havoc on your unit and your handpiece.

vdrum4250

Elite Cafe Member
just send back for a rehaul from grs. they will make it new again and good for what 4.5 years.. quick and dirty .. a little cash but will get you running perfect and wont waste time being a technician and more time as a engraver..IMHO

Domitilla

just send back for a rehaul from grs. they will make it new again and good for what 4.5 years.. quick and dirty .. a little cash but will get you running perfect and wont waste time being a technician and more time as a engraver..IMHO

I'm unable to edit my profile to include my location. I'm from India and sending the the machine across to the U.S, would cost us at least $350, apart from the servicing charges. No option, will have to do some technical work!

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Absolutely nothing wrong with resourcefulness. It will also repay you ten fold down the road.

Keep trying the suggestions. Keep asking for more.

Learn to take things apart and put 'em back together again without any "extra" parts leftover...

In the general scheme of things - these machines are definitely not "rocket science" - and sooner or later you will hit on the solution.

Again, the benefits of working any problem out yourself are priceless and will be one of the most useful skills you will ever acquire.

Brian

Last edited:

Domitilla

Contacted GRS, they are very helpful but due to the time difference from where I live and the US, it was taking a long time. Posted the problem on the cafe, so that I could get back to engraving faster.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. Opened the machine, all the piping inside has turned yellow and the pipe connecting to the foot throttle outlet had a spilt, replaced it ( yes it is definitely not rocket science, much more simpler than I though).

Now while tuning the hand piece the knocking does stop as the air pressure is increased but there is a another problem its with the air tack that is attached to the machine, there is a constant air leak, from the hand piece selector area of the air tack. ( the area where the little knob is located, which allows one to chose the left or right side air outlet). Guess some piping is broken inside the air tack too.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Keep going... use a few drops of dishsoap in some water and carefully brush the hose connections to detect leaks from the bubbles.

Use common sense and don't wet anything or drip on anything that could be harmed. Unplug the machine if you can do it and still find leaks.

You should be able to find some replacement tubing that will work in India.

You may even be able to find an air selector switch of some kind?

If the switch cannot be fixed, put in a "Y" and use two separate valves/switches. (brass aquarium airline valves will work)

If you are a metalsmith or know one, I've made a "Y" and a "T" out of brazed brass tubing for my older one which has the separate Airtact box.

Plastic ones were not getting the job done.

Keep thinking. These things were built by other humans - not aliens...

Brian

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Also remember that T & Y and connector fittings are available in many sizes and materials at Automobile Parts suppliers.
Many types of air and fluid fittings are used in automobiles.

Domitilla

Thanks for the help.

I was able to replace the broken tubing with some local tubing.

I don't think I was clear regarding the air tack, guess there is nothing wrong with the selector switch, the problem is that there is a leak in the area where it is located. Will open it up.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If all of the tubing is turning yellow you are looking for future problems. This shows that oil or other containments are in the system. I would make sure you get a good oil removal filter. Continued use without will cause issues with the rotary valve and eventually the motor.

Domitilla

I think the piping has turned yellow, as part of the ageing process of the piping. There should not be any oil in the system as the compressor we use is oil free.

Jkasal

I had similar problem with my G8. Oil had gotten inside the solenoid. After I replaced it, my machine was back to running like new!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk