Help

Santo

Elite Cafe Member
Alright, I'm either losing my mind or just suffering some early onset dementia:confused: . Early on someone posted a website that you could rent engraving vids from. As usual, I didn't bookmark it at the time and now can't find it -- if it exists at all and I didn't dream it:eek: . Does anyone remember what it was and who posted it? Thanks

S--

bpeak

I think he means videos. I'd be really interested too... but I don't recall seeing that when I browsed through the older threads.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Video rental companies are supposed to pay a "royalty" on each video rented. The company, group, guild, club, or person who owns the video is entitled to make money on the efforts they went to to produce it... not doing so, deprives the rightful owners of what is due them - that's why we have copyright laws.

Last I heard FEGA was having a problem with this company? Maybe Rex or someone who really knows will step in here?

I know they offered Sam's videos at one time... Sam, what has your relationship been like with them?

Brian P. Marshall
Stockton Jewelry Arts School, Stockton, CA - USA
instructor@jewelryartschool.com - 209-477-0550

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Brian: They claim that any video on the market can be legally rented out, including your personal (legally purchased) video collection. I've not looked at the site in a long time, but I assume my videos are still there. / ~Sam

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Only Sam's financial stature would match Disney or the NFL. Go get em Sam!

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tim is correct in that what used to be www.technicalvideorental.com is now www.smartflix.com. I rented videos from them including Sam's sharpening video. I hadn't considered what they were doing was not legal.

My experience was that they were very fast in delivery and easy to use the return mailer. The cost $9.95. I had good experiences with the first few I rented and then rented some of the FEGA videos. They were miserable quality as if they were recorded by amateurs and each one froze up before I got to the end. I should clarify that last statement in that if I watched them on my computer, I could get to the end but in my A/V system with an audiophile DVD player they would freeze up.

They were very good about giving credit or sending another DVD. After a couple of those experiences, I hadn't rented since the were still the original name.

Peter

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian,
There was some concerns of the legality of renting them but much like Sam said is the answer we got. I suppose it could be fought but that would be costly. Needless to say, FEGA uses the money generated by the videos to help put on more seminars, newsletters, web sites and so on. The rented version doesn't have any royalities so we make no money beyond the original sale. If you are looking to support FEGA, (or Sam) you know what to do.........

Santo

Elite Cafe Member
Video rentals

Thanks alot you guys. Being a retired itinerate musician and understanding the ramifications of this sort of thing I won't support them. I don't download pirated music and won't start with instruction videos. I'll buy them when I can. It's really great being on this forum.

Santo

NACHO

HEY PEOPLE,
Just like someone said about engraving some one else's designs, I think the moneys received go to a good cause. LOOOOK at the tons of info in this forum and be thankfull we have people like Sam.

Jim-Iowa

Elite Cafe Member
Professionally I am a Customer Service Rep (have been for 20 yrs) for the nations largest wholesale distributor of precorded video and dvd product. Product is produced for the purpose of Rental and sell-through to consumers. Most Vendors(our suppliers don't own the rights to a given movie) they buy those rights to produce and distribute for specified time period and when the contract is up the product reverts to the owner.
It is assumed that any royalties to owners and or players in said property are paid their due,(all too often a clause in the original contract to make said film are waved rights or only apply to theatrical revenue) from the proceeds of the sale.
We buy from them and distribute to retailers.
Two of the largest players in the internet distribution of video/dvd product on a rental basis are Netflix and Blockbuster. You can be sure if it were illegal someone would have filed an injunction to stop them and "topple the giants" Oddly enough these two players are in a legal battle, over the business concept.
One is claiming the other stole their business plan?
Hope I have shed some light and yet not rambled too much.

Last edited:

Santo

Elite Cafe Member
All right you guys and women!! Let's go -- I'm not getting any younger and I can use all the help I can get!! :D Actually, this may not be a bad idea -- at least from my end :D.

S~