+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help

Alright, I'm either losing my mind or just suffering some early onset dementia . Early on someone posted a website that you could rent engraving vids from. As usual, I didn't bookmark it at the time and now can't find it -- if it exists at all and I didn't dream it . Does anyone remember what it was and who posted it? Thanks

S--
    Santo

Post Thanks / Like

Santo whats a vid?

Post Thanks / Like

I think he means videos. I'd be really interested too... but I don't recall seeing that when I browsed through the older threads.

Post Thanks / Like

They used to be called "Technical Video Rental" but they changed names I guess and are now known as: http://smartflix.com/

Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Video rental companies are supposed to pay a "royalty" on each video rented. The company, group, guild, club, or person who owns the video is entitled to make money on the efforts they went to to produce it... not doing so, deprives the rightful owners of what is due them - that's why we have copyright laws.

Last I heard FEGA was having a problem with this company? Maybe Rex or someone who really knows will step in here?

I know they offered Sam's videos at one time... Sam, what has your relationship been like with them?

Brian P. Marshall
    Stockton Jewelry Arts School, Stockton, CA - USA
    instructor@jewelryartschool.com - 209-477-0550
    Last edited by Brian Marshall; 12-20-2006 at 06:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Brian: They claim that any video on the market can be legally rented out, including your personal (legally purchased) video collection. I've not looked at the site in a long time, but I assume my videos are still there. / ~Sam

Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmmm, I wonder if Disney, or some of the football franchises would allow this?

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Only Sam's financial stature would match Disney or the NFL. Go get em Sam!

Post Thanks / Like

Tim is correct in that what used to be www.technicalvideorental.com is now www.smartflix.com. I rented videos from them including Sam's sharpening video. I hadn't considered what they were doing was not legal.

My experience was that they were very fast in delivery and easy to use the return mailer. The cost $9.95. I had good experiences with the first few I rented and then rented some of the FEGA videos. They were miserable quality as if they were recorded by amateurs and each one froze up before I got to the end. I should clarify that last statement in that if I watched them on my computer, I could get to the end but in my A/V system with an audiophile DVD player they would freeze up.

They were very good about giving credit or sending another DVD. After a couple of those experiences, I hadn't rented since the were still the original name.

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Brian,
    There was some concerns of the legality of renting them but much like Sam said is the answer we got. I suppose it could be fought but that would be costly. Needless to say, FEGA uses the money generated by the videos to help put on more seminars, newsletters, web sites and so on. The rented version doesn't have any royalities so we make no money beyond the original sale. If you are looking to support FEGA, (or Sam) you know what to do.........