Another iPad scroll and video

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
Oh you are just having a BALL with that thing! Are you using a 12.9" one or the smaller version? I'm thinking about grabbing the small one... would it be useful or should I bite the bullet and go big?

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
Did you achieve the dark lines by repeatedly going over them or by duplicating the layer and multiplying them? both methods work.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
are you getting ANY work done this year???

was this done by drawing one half and flipping it? or did you draw both?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
procreate-pencil-settings.jpg

Did you achieve the dark lines by repeatedly going over them or by duplicating the layer and multiplying them? both methods work.

I haven't duplicated/multiplied layers, although I do that in photoshop.

Here are the pencil settings I'm using at present. I didn't include the last one because I didn't change shape source or grain source.

Sam

Staff member
are you getting ANY work done this year???

was this done by drawing one half and flipping it? or did you draw both?

This IS work! At least for me it is. Fortunately my work is also fun :cool:

I drew half, duplicated the layer, and then flipped it. Same with the shading.

Thanks for the tip for setting technical pencil, I tried it and it worked very well. Sam, you're welcome to come with more tips on how to exploit the potential of the iPad Pro.

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
You can actually "share" a tool. Swipe left on the tool i.e. Technical pencil and select share. Then we can just import with all settings intact.

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
Btw. To create a straight line just touch for the beginning point and drag out holding the pen down for second or two and it will switch to a straight line that you can drag around. This is not an obvious feature unless you watch a lot of videos or read the manual. As you drag the second point you can touch the screen with another finger to snap to horizontal or vertical or 15 degree increments

Sam

Staff member
Btw. To create a straight line just touch for the beginning point and drag out holding the pen down for second or two and it will switch to a straight line that you can drag around. This is not an obvious feature unless you watch a lot of videos or read the manual. As you drag the second point you can touch the screen with another finger to snap to horizontal or vertical or 15 degree increments

I tried sharing by email but your email bounced back. Message me on FB with your current email and I'll share it.

This app never ceases to amaze me! There are so many features it's amazing.

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Nice Sam! Is there any way to output the finished drawings in vector format? Oops, just read the answer in your other post.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Sam

I copied the above drawing into illustrator. Vectorised it with image trace in Illustrator and it was as good as any other inkjet/transparency transfer I've used.

Thanks for that.

I feel a purchase coming on!!!!!!!

Cheers
Andrew

Jerry K

Elite Cafe Member
The cost of a referb IPad Pro ranges between $550. and $900. on the Bay. I have a Surface Pro 4 and the purchase of another computer seems, well, irrational. Are their any other Surface Pro users here? What drawing software/Apps are you using?
Thanx
Jerry

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Not being technically oriented and knowing I will never use this program, I got something else out of the video. The time lapse makes the individual strokes go by very quickly, so after watching it, I proceeded to stop the action every second or so. Watching Sam draw this design is like watching Beethoven compose music. We tend to think that a design like this, by a master, just flows in one stream of consciousness, but by stopping the action frequently, I can see how many times Sam started in one direction, erased it and progressed to something else, sometimes he drew several iterations before he settled on the final design. In the end the design looks inevitable but many of us would have settled for the first or second iteration without reaching the final and most elegant design. When you listen to Beethoven's fifth symphony every note progression seem inevitably perfect but Beethoven's surviving notes prove that he rewrote many elements several times, not settling for "good enough", to reach perfection. How many of us have drawn a design once or twice and said "that's good enough" without developing the design to its best conclusion?

Sam

Staff member
Not being technically oriented and knowing I will never use this program, I got something else out of the video. The time lapse makes the individual strokes go by very quickly, so after watching it, I proceeded to stop the action every second or so. Watching Sam draw this design is like watching Beethoven compose music. We tend to think that a design like this, by a master, just flows in one stream of consciousness, but by stopping the action frequently, I can see how many times Sam started in one direction, erased it and progressed to something else, sometimes he drew several iterations before he settled on the final design. In the end the design looks inevitable but many of us would have settled for the first or second iteration without reaching the final and most elegant design. When you listen to Beethoven's fifth symphony every note progression seem inevitably perfect but Beethoven's surviving notes prove that he rewrote many elements several times, not settling for "good enough", to reach perfection. How many of us have drawn a design once or twice and said "that's good enough" without developing the design to its best conclusion?

Thanks for your kind words, Roger :) I'm probably as deaf as Beethoven was! I'm glad you enjoyed the video. It does go by very quickly but stopping the action shows many of the steps. I hear engravers all the time saying "I erase a lot" in frustration when the subject of drawing comes up. I do to! One of the good things about drawing digitally is that you don't wear out the surface of the paper :)

Latest posts

Sponsors