Tomorrow's Study Material

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have so many books and its just so awesome to pull some out and use as a study for design, going to be working on some grips as you can see top right i already did a smoke pull after borders and main image has been engraved, next ill scan it and import it to my surface pro 4, and start drawing. Buy as many books, dvds, castings as you can. And never sell them, you might think you learned everything from them but there's always something to come back to and continue to learn.

GunEngraver.com Custom Guns Knives and More PAYMENT PLANS Available

Last edited:

Marcelo

Elite Cafe Member
This is a truth about books. There will always be something to be learned, always.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
yes. the meeks book was my first real bit of formal training. i owe my present status to mr. meeks. two others--
john rohner, and roger bleile . rohner invented the "machine". mr bleile gave me encouragement at a time when i was about to throw in the towel.

Jerry K

Elite Cafe Member
Are you satisfied with your SurfacePro4 as compared the output of the IPad Pros that we have seen on the forum recently. What are your go to applications?
Thanx Carlos
Jerry

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Are you satisfied with your SurfacePro4 as compared the output of the IPad Pros that we have seen on the forum recently. What are your go to applications?
Thanx Carlos
Jerry
Jerry,

I had purchased a ipad pro, but never used it because the pencil was in backorder, and they wouldn't ship the iPad Pro separately but they sell them separately, never understood why, so I just cancelled my order, I wanted something portable that I can work with Lightroom, Photoshop, illustrator and any other program so I decided to go with the Surface Pro 4, procreate is not available for Microsoft. The pencil that the iPad Pro uses needs to be charged to use the nib meaning the point cannot be changed out as far as I read some time ago so when it wears out you have to cash out another $100 to replace the pencil.
The nib on the surface pro 4 can be changed out and different nib types are available, I am still using the original that came with it, the pen on the Surface Pro 4 uses one 4D battery that lasts one year and then needs to be replaced it is very easy to do and can be done quickly.

I bought the best tiered Surface Pro 4 that they offered with plenty of RAM and the i7 Surface Pro 4, I use the the full program and not the application they do have an application for both Microsoft Apple Android and iPhones. Cost is around 35 dollars a year and you can install it in as many items you want. You're able to distinguish a single item or layer within the program and rotate ot resize it mirror it flip it. The program is called sketchbook. Look at youtube videos there are people, artist, that compare both items, as you can see procreate is a very capable app, I think that if you own an iPad Pro stay with it if you already have a Surface Pro 4 stay with that. I think that this next year we're getting the iPad Pro at work so I can't justify buying one if I'll be getting one for free I'll be able to compare both once I have them. But im satisfied with sketchbook. You'll have to mess with the pen settings and figure out what line width and darkness works for you, I do clear transparency transfers on an inkjet and they work just fine. I don't draw all the details as Sam and others do just the main lines I do all the shading on the item itself.

Ive seen hours and hours of reviews on youtube read comments and made my decision based on that.

I dont use this all the time because there are times you just need to draw in the item itself, its just faster sometimes.

But if its a weekday and im going through my routine with my girls, well i get to design.

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Carlos,Another good read is Lee Griffiths book Art & Design Fundamentals,my first and favorite book is The Art of Engraving by James B. Meek the book that started it all for us.:thumbsup: J.J.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
JJ,

I agree, also own that one, sometimes i forget, what i own, but thanks for reminding me.

Jerry K

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for the detailed information concerning the SurfacePro4 Carlos. I am somewhat new to engraving and often find myself sidetracked when reading post about the technology that is being used by the Masters and more advanced members. I tend to forget that these devices won't make me draw better. The only things that I really need are pencil, paper and the ability to concentrate on the task at hand.
Thanx again
Jerry

Latest posts

Sponsors