Help, please: Gold plating on stainless?

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Anybody with any experience with this? Or knowledge of a practical online resource ?

I assuming there will need to be a copper base flashed on first. But it's been twenty years since I last did any plating.

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
To properly gold plate stainless steel, You'll need to first plate with copper, then nickel before finally putting on the gold plating. There are "brush plating" kits available from Caswell Plating that can be used to directly gold plate stainless, but it is a thin decorative coating with no durability at all.

http://www.caswellplating.com

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There is a new method, caswell plating has a chemical, you dip it there first then strait to gold. Check them out, ive tried it and it works.

GunEngraver.com Custom Guns Knives and More PAYMENT PLANS Available

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
There is a new method, caswell plating has a chemical, you dip it there first then strait to gold. Check them out, ive tried it and it works.

I've used the stainless activator as well, the triple plating method works MUCH better. The gold plating after using the activator is a really fragile finish, and I ended up having to replate a bunch of stuff properly after using it. Hobby products produce hobby results.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've used the stainless activator as well, the triple plating method works MUCH better. The gold plating after using the activator is a really fragile finish, and I ended up having to replate a bunch of stuff properly after using it. Hobby products produce hobby results.
No complaints as of yet, been using it for a year, but i guess time will tell.

BLW

Chemical vapour deposition and physical vapour deposition are a better finish process, do some googling

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Where do you buy your nickle strike solution from?

Sponsors