Blackleaf with the iPad Pro

didyoung

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam
Thanks for the excellent examples.
The third leaf is a mind blower....
All three of the large leaves have shading panels that you make look so good.

You asked a question in the other thread....can these sketches be saved into a vector file using this pad?
Happy New Year

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks Shawn. I've not learned everything in the 200+ page manual for Procreate, but I've not seen any reference to vector at all, so I'm assuming it's strictly raster output.

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
Shawn. There is no vector output. There are different types of tools. Sam has been primarily using the HB pencil tool. I enjoy going over my sketch layer with the inking tools. They give a much higher contrasty image and with pressure sensitivity you can vary the line widths nicely. It will look like a vector image but is only raster. That is where the higher resolution pays off. It will still be sharp when zooming in for detail. Not as critical for pencil type work. I did experiment with a raster to vector conversion from one of my Procreate files that was done with the inking tools. I was not really satisfied with the output. It's not bad but I prefer to just trace the image manually for finer output.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Shawn. There is no vector output. There are different types of tools. Sam has been primarily using the HB pencil tool. I enjoy going over my sketch layer with the inking tools. They give a much higher contrasty image and with pressure sensitivity you can vary the line widths nicely. It will look like a vector image but is only raster. That is where the higher resolution pays off. It will still be sharp when zooming in for detail. Not as critical for pencil type work. I did experiment with a raster to vector conversion from one of my Procreate files that was done with the inking tools. I was not really satisfied with the output. It's not bad but I prefer to just trace the image manually for finer output.

Andy: What resolution are you using? I've only used the screen size resolution so far. I'm also experimenting with customizing the pencils and getting some really nice results.

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, I have used up to 4000 x4000 when I know I want to ink the drawing. It seems to show less pixilation in fine details. I may be over the top though. I've only been doing this for a week or so ahead of you. Your results with the pencil tool look better than anything I have done. I can't seem to get the exact qualities I am looking for out of the pencil. I have played with the settings quite a bit. There is a balance between resolution and pen settings. When you get a resolution that is optimum for the pencil please share it with us. I find the stock grain settings to appear a little too coarse for my taste. But once again that is based on the resolutions I am using. I'll get it figured out eventually.

Latest posts

Sponsors