Follow up on Declaring value for customs

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
Hi everyone. I managed to get my coin back from Australia after the buyer refused to pay the customs fee. Although I am under no obligation according to Paypal, I will refund his money minus expenses. Attached are photos of what fuss was over.

Attachments

• IMG_0390 (800x546).jpg
    IMG_0390 (800x546).jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0387 (800x533).jpg
    IMG_0387 (800x533).jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 146

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
Sorry to say but that customer was not the sharpest pencil in the packet. He missed out on excellent quality work due to his own ignorance regarding import duties.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
As they say, you can't fix stupid. Great work of art, Steve :bow: :clapping: :beerchug:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i don't know what the $ involved was (if the customs fee was really outrageous or what), but it certainly seems like the client should have been aware of it ahead of time and figured that in to his investment.

as was suggested in the previous thread, maybe time for you to sell it to one of his 'friends' here in the States, so they can bestow to him as a 'gift' and you have a clean paper trail?

Steve L S

I have a friend from Texas who was diagnosed with breast cancer and was told her op would cost $250K. She married an Aussie and we fixed her up for $200.00 out of pocket expenses – so she will not hear a bad word said against Australia, but the rest of us are boiling mad with our govts. We have had five prime Ministers in five years….every direction you turn there are impenetrable layers of beauracracy and massive crippling fines for non compliance.

Steve’s client should have known the import duties? OK go to Aust border protection website and have a go at working it out. Then when you can’t, then try to find a phone number to ring them up.
Moral of story- if you send anything to the land of OZ make sure your customer knows exactly the fees and costs the “wizard” demands.

Oh and if you drive without a seatbelt in Sydney you will be fined $325.00 and in Perth $500.00, and another thing its illegal to carve Australian currency coins- fine $5000.00 or 2 yrs jail or both.

Steve S

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
So for the smallest denomination Australian coin that you can get caught carving, the government will pay 30 or 40 thousand dollars to keep you in jail for 2 years?

Sounds logical to me?

At least if you happen to need low cost room & board... After you pay the 5 grand, it's still cheap and I'm sure you're entitled to cable TV and free medical and dental whist a resident of the govt. hotel?

We do that here for all kinds of minor/victimless infractions as well. That's why we are so famous all around the world - for the highest percentage of citizens incarcerated!

When was the last time your government actually enforced that law?

Better yet, why are those who wrote it, and passed it, still loose on streets? (rather than in an asylum?)

Brian

Last edited:

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
So he should have expected not to pay anything or have the sender pay?? Perhaps the lesson is that contracts exist to clarify and "protect " both parties. Terms should be made clear up front. When I bring a firearm across international boundaries I am quite aware I am responsible for all sorts of fees and forms. If I bugger something up due to misunderstanding that's on me not the person who sold it to me. Begging complexity is just an excuse for not taking responsibility in my opinion.
Jeremy

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Moral of story- if you send anything to the land of OZ make sure your customer knows exactly the fees and costs the “wizard” demands.

Steve S

Sorry but I disagree. It's not any seller's responsibility to calculate Customs duties in other countries, and possibly make errors in the calculations. It's not even the seller's duty to TELL THEM they're responsible for duties as common sense should dictate that, but it's normally done as a courtesy reminder.

Personally, I would have said you'll get your money back minus expenses after I find another buyer for it.

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
I have a friend from Texas who was diagnosed with breast cancer and was told her op would cost $250K. She married an Aussie and we fixed her up for $200.00 out of pocket expenses – so she will not hear a bad word said against Australia, but the rest of us are boiling mad with our govts. We have had five prime Ministers in five years….every direction you turn there are impenetrable layers of beauracracy and massive crippling fines for non compliance.

Steve’s client should have known the import duties? OK go to Aust border protection website and have a go at working it out. Then when you can’t, then try to find a phone number to ring them up.

Oh and if you drive without a seatbelt in Sydney you will be fined $325.00 and in Perth $500.00, and another thing its illegal to carve Australian currency coins- fine $5000.00 or 2 yrs jail or both.

Steve S

As far as I know, anything over AUD$1000.00 only incurs an import duty, they were talking about changing that last year and charge duty on everything!!, but haven't hear that happening yet, on a purchase last year from the US, it cost me about 17% of the total value of the item, that is the total with shipping included.
when I buy anything from overseas worth more than a grand, it is logical to do my homework before hand,

I don't think they are going to fine or jail you for carving a coin, this days. ;)

Richard.

Rstripnieks

well Ithink Engraver should never be responsible to calculate customs etc. but Personally I let my customers know that there will be import charges and additional costs

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
As mentioned in another thread the only coins in Australia that have had their "legal tender" status removed are the Holey Dollar and Dump from circa 1813. As far as I am aware it is illegal to deliberately alter any other Australian coin unless you have specific permission from authorities (which has been granted for making coin watches etc).

In my experience I will agree that only imports over $1000- have had 10% tax imposed (we call it GST but others may know it as VAT), but it looks as though - as of July 2017 - the tax will be imposed on purchases of any value to try and take advantage of those who are buying from overseas via the internet.

Roger

PS - Steve LS - please don't get me started on some of the pollies we have here - I don't want to be banned from the forum so will abstain from making comments on some of these ***** we have here - both state and fed. BTW if you want to talk about fees and costs compared to services received you have to feel sorry for the poor blighters who are still without power 5 days after the mid-week storm in a state which has often been told that we pay the highest price of electricity, not only in Oz but possibly in the 1st world.

That's it - no more rant and apologies for going off topic

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Moral of story- if you send anything to the land of OZ make sure your customer knows exactly the fees and costs the “wizardâ€￾ demands.

Steve S

ugh. so the client's complaint may well be with customs, not Steve...