a compliment of sorts, i guess...

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I recently did a bunch of lettering for a client and thought he was pretty happy with it. Then he called about having me do some more, but specified "for this project I want it all done by hand".

"Umm, I do everything 'by hand', including what I did for you the other day."

"Oh, really? Then can we use a font or style that looks a bit more...not so perfect?"

so i put some little curves and small flourishes in the serifs, etc., kinda like a fancy version of Goudy Hand-tooled. he was pleased...

:rolleyes:

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
LoL... well that is the first time i have heard that kind of compliment.
Good for you means you did a great job.
Happy New Year Mitch, and i wish you many more happy clients

Rstripnieks

Sometimes not being perfect is "better"-quote from master woodworker Paul Sellers
He mentioned same you have and in his Videos he shows how he is making some tiny imperfections to hes masterpieces so people in auctions can tell that cabinet or bench is done 100 precent by hand.
also for me where most of my work is engraving coins some shading or lines are not perfect at all but customers say that if those lines where done by cnc than the coin would never look that good.
kinda Paradox isnt it? :)

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i know what you're saying, Rstripnieks, but the lettering in question wasn't even what i'd consider all that 'machine perfect'. the client was a little vague, but it kinda sounded like he wanted a more hand-drawn/designed looking font (whether or not it actually was), not just more evidence of hand engraved execution. who knows. hard to say where to draw the line between anything looking hand-made and just poorly done. i'll be the first to admit i'm not very good at deliberately "showing the hand in the work". for example, i've never been able to do deep relief sculpted scroll and make the chisel & hammer marks look quite right. i recognize the attractive nature of such a finish when others do it- i.e. Chris DeCamillis, Sam Alfano, Lynton McKenzie, & Weldon Lister, but my efforts always just look crude to my eye.

Latest posts

Sponsors