Question: Gold inlay without any raised teeth

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I put inlays on Flintlock frizzens and hammers and they stay. You can't give a inlay more of a beating than that. I even put teeth in the bottom of barrel band cavities. That stipple idea isn't new. It has been tried for many years by a lot of engravers. If an inlay comes out of a niter blued or a color case hardened gun you will not forget it.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ive tried the stipple meathod aftwr i saw a youbtube video posted by one of our members here, cant remember the name, issue i had were the the tip must be sharp to create nice deep and clean holes, I was working on stainless steel and kept breaking the tip, but i was determined to stay with it, after the tape test, the gold lifted in some areas that normally would not have lifted if i would have done it with teeth, so in the long run i spent extra time resharpening the darn stipple point, and remove the gold that did not take. I did complete the job and the client has not complained, yet, but only time will tell, but if i had to do it over again id stick to my teeth method, but i did live on the wild side and lived to tell the tale.

GunEngraver.com Custom Guns Knives and More PAYMENT PLANS Available

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Whilst digging through a ton of photos for something else, I ran across this photo of the way I do teeth for inlays. Also is included the finished inlay. This is just my take on the process after years of experiment and practice.

PS...you cannot tell from the photo but the shape of the deer has been sculpted into the steel before the teeth were cut. This aids greatly when shaping the final inlay. Using a small slightly rounded chisel point and sliding across the area, the teeth are cut quicker than you might suspect. Pneumatic hammer of course.

Attachments

• Inlay teeth 1.JPG
    Inlay teeth 1.JPG
    258.8 KB · Views: 111
  • midas 3 1f.jpg
    midas 3 1f.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Definitely three Jerry. They go from right to left sloping down, then right to left sloping up then from bottom up sloping to the right. I turned the vise counter clockwise for each series of cuts, cutting into the previous teeth. The third series basically go across the diamonds formed by the first two sets.

Latest posts

Sponsors