Speed Drawing of Some Practice Scrollwork

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
nice drawing, Sam. i'm still not exactly clear as to the advantage of using $3,000 worth of electronics, plus time learning to use it all, to replace a pencil & eraser...

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
nice drawing, Sam. i'm still not exactly clear as to the advantage of using $3,000 worth of electronics, plus time learning to use it all, to replace a pencil & eraser...

For some things there's an advantage. I'm a computer graphics geek so show me something new and I'm usually all over it. I don't think it's necessarily a pencil and paper replacement, but it sure is fantastic.

Jonathans

Elite Cafe Member
My favourite program on iPad is also Procreate, only downside is that it doesn't have mirroring capability (Sketchbook pro is the only program that has it, but it is otherwise clunky). Otherwise very nice, fast, smooth, lots of brushes etc. Though, I use 99% of the time only one inking brush and an eraser... I've downloaded and bought pretty much all programs that are available, Procreate is still the best.

Adobe Illustrator Draw (for iPad) has a vertical or horizontal flip function (mirroring).

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
It's to keep you from breaking $100,000 a year in income... keeps you busy learning, not working.

And as a side "benefit" to keeping your wallet lighter - it may have a positive effect on the economy?

Do your patriotic duty - spend it as quick as you get it!

Brian

Sam

Staff member
It's to keep you from breaking $100,000 a year in income... keeps you busy learning, not working.

And as a side "benefit" to keeping your wallet lighter - it may have a positive effect on the economy?

Do your patriotic duty - spend it as quick as you get it!

Brian

I'm grateful for the 100,000+ customers who have licensed the doodles I've made with my graphics gadgets!

Andrew Biggs

Dammit!!!………..this sort of thread should be banned permanently!!!!

It just wants me to go out and spend my hard earned money and buy the I-Pad Pro and get stuck into it. :) :)

Do I need it?……..No. Do I want it?……..Yes. :)

It has to be the first demo I’ve seen where electronic drawing is actually intuitive and useful using digital paper and pencil for engraving design purposes. So I imagine it can only get better and better.

Cheers
Andrew

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member

It just wants me to go out and spend my hard earned money and buy the I-Pad Pro and get stuck into it. :) :)

It has to be the first demo I’ve seen where electronic drawing is actually intuitive and useful using digital paper and pencil for engraving design purposes. So I imagine it can only get better and better.

Cheers
Andrew

I agree... already been lookin' at 'em, now I'm itching to buy one. :thinking:

A question, when using Apple Pencil is there any setting that turns off so that your fingers do not make an imprint in the design

Sam

Staff member
A question, when using Apple Pencil is there any setting that turns off so that your fingers do not make an imprint in the design

Procreate app has palm rejection that works quite well 98% of the time. I still get little bits that have to be erased though. Not a big deal at all.

Sam

Staff member

Cheers
Andrew

I've drawn for years on a Wacom Cintiq which is on-the-screen drawing like the iPad. I would say the Cintiq is better for photo editing and vector drawing, although both can be done with the iPad Pro and Astropad app which mirrors (by bluetooth) photoshop or illustrator to your iPad (but you have to be near your computer). I haven't had much time to really evaluate Astropad but it looks promising.

For painting and drawing the iPad is comfortable to use and you can sit in your easy chair and draw beautifully on it. The Cintiq requires you to be at your desk and on your computer. The Procreate app is just fan-freaking-tastic. I have absolutely no regrets with the purchase. I have not used it for an engraving job yet. Illustrator is still the application to use for text manipulation and preparing text for transfer. Procreate is not vector, but a drawing/paint application, so the output is much different than vector. Get one Andrew!!

Sam

Staff member

I'm using one of these bean bag laptop thingies for the 12.9" iPad Pro. If you're not at a desk, this really makes drawing a lot more comfortable. My iPad case also raises the back of the iPad and tilts it forward.

Andrew Biggs

Sam and Andy........What size tablet did you end up buying??

There's a big difference in size between the 9.7 and the 12.9. It's almost double the actual working surface. I was wondering if the larger size tablet feels clunky to hold, transport and use. The 9.7 is higher specked because it is a newer version but is the smaller working surface a pain with zooming in and out all the time??

Have you made a useful transfer going from drawing to printing using the iPad-Pro?? (I use transfers a lot)

I'm talking transfer quality of main outlines here, not clip art quality.

Cheers
Andrew

P.S. Brian.........the next big thing will be a mind transfer app that figures out what you are thinking and then draws it for you.............Which could be extremely embarrassing in some situations. :) :)

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam and Andy........What size tablet did you end up buying??

There's a big difference in size between the 9.7 and the 12.9. It's almost double the actual working surface. I was wondering if the larger size tablet feels clunky to hold, transport and use. The 9.7 is higher specked because it is a newer version but is the smaller working surface a pain with zooming in and out all the time??

Have you made a useful transfer going from drawing to printing using the iPad-Pro?? (I use transfers a lot)

I'm talking transfer quality of main outlines here, not clip art quality.

Cheers
Andrew

P.S. Brian.........the next big thing will be a mind transfer app that figures out what you are thinking and then draws it for you.............Which could be extremely embarrassing in some situations. :) :)
Since its a rastor file, the edges of the drawn lines is not clean as you would get with a vector file.

GunEngraver.com Custom Guns Knives and More PAYMENT PLANS Available

Andrew Biggs

Hi Carlos

Drawing in vector is to laborious for transfer purposes. For commercial clip art to be reproduced in magazines and printed material it's almost a must in some situations. But for transfer purposes it's not necessary or even desirable. After all, the purpose of the exercise is engraving, not printing or the drawing itself.

I convert jpg/psd files to vector in illustrator using the image trace feature which is quick and easy.........the only reason I do this is to scale and size down accurately. The actual vector generated is not flash but it serves its purpose and is accurate enough for cutting.

People get all hung up about the quality of the transfer and forget that it is only a guideline for main cuts. So long as it prints and transfers okay it doesn't matter if the edges are a bit fuzzy..........Quick and dirty does the trick :)

Cheers
Andrew

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew, I have used this app to create artwork which I transferred to a coin that I engraved. The key is to use a high enough resolution that the lines are crisp when scaled down. There are "inking" tools in the app which yield a near vector appearance with higher resolutions. If you watched my video I started drawing with the pencil tool then created a new layer and "Inked" the design for a high contrast sharp edged output.
Definitely buy the larger IPad. Ignore the specs. This thing is lightning fast. It's a great tool.

Sam

Staff member
IMG_8755.jpg

Andrew: here's a transfer drawn with the pencil tool and not Andy's inking tools he described. I think it's still adequate not being vector. What do you think? I will try the inking tools next.

I have the 12.9 and it's a lot heavier than my smaller iPad. But I'm liking it just fine, and plan to bring it to vegas if you'ld like to try it.

[edit] This transfer was done with laser printer on paper and acetone.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
I've been using iPad Pro for all the designs since April '16 (except the ones that can't be transferred, of course). Transferring the designs as usual (inkjet + transparency).

Indeed, just use larger resolution for drawing and it'll be fine, no need to mess with vectorising the designs. I use the "native" resolution of the iPad and it's plenty. Currently just starting this little piece: DSCF9337_800.jpg

Good enough for me.

Get the larger iPad, you won't regret :)

Sponsors